Eye Witness report from the Shoe
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 19, 2006
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Came up to do some pre-season chores at my Snowshoe condo, and since Snowshoe, the conditions, the weather report, ad nauseam has been in the forefront, I decided to send this real vs reported story.

I arrived Saturday afternoon. Not a soul around which is the reason why this is my favorite time to come up. Here's what I saw:

Snow: There are thin spotty layers of snow from about 200 feet from the top. Once on top, the trail side of the resort was covered by about 6" of solid snow. There were 6 to ten feet tall mounds all over the place. It was obvious the freeze/thaw cycle had been active, as the cover was crusty and icy. The temperature was too warm for snowmaking, but soon after sunset the temperature dropped from 42F to 30F and the guns went on, non-stop... The temperature dropped to 26F overnight and the guns continued on the bunny slope, Heisler Way and down a couple of trails. By this morning, the snow cover amounts had clearly doubled and they have giant mounds that the cats would spread around soon, providing for a nice base. With temperatures scheduled to remain below freezing and snow on the schedule for tonight and Monday, if they keep this up it will be an on-schedule opening.

Weather: I have a calibrated weather station gizmo. On top, the temperature at the rear of the Summit condos is 27 degrees right now, 1PM on Sunday. The temperature as reported by the Weather Channel web site is 34F, which is exactly the temperature at the base, 1800 feet below us. The Weather Underground site states it is 38 degrees, plainly inaccurate. Intellicast says weather unavailable. NOAA reports 39F but with a disclaimer that this is the temperature at Hot Springs. NOAA, however, forecasts snow in differing amounts from this afternoon all the way through Monday night.

I guess if I have a "bottom line" is that the weather predictions are actually quite conservative vis-a-vis what it really is up here.

I had dinner at the Foxfire and there is obviously enthusiasm in the air. Unfortunately I won't be able to return until 5 Dec, but by that time there should be much more open.
tromano
November 19, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Thanks Lou!
snowcone
November 19, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
What 'calibrated weather station gizmo' do you have? I'm looking to pick up something for home other than the plain vanilla temp/humidity I currently have. Cost is a bit of an issue ... $200 or under is good, over that is not so good.
Crush
November 19, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
yo sno - so when u gonna hit my london bridge grl?!?!????!?!?!?!!

it's been a while ........... r u hittn UT or wat?

letzmakesumturns!

doubleE.
snowcone
November 19, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Yeah Crush! Of course! Finances are a little light this year so its gonna be a cheepie. Moscha can't get free until early Feb so it might not be until then although I would like to come in Jan. My sister sold the ski condo in PCR and now they have a condo in Ogden so that she can ride herd on the house building up near Snowbasin. So ... Moscha and I will be staying with her in Ogden when we come .. I hope that is not too far off your beaten path! I can't wait!
skigirl61
November 19, 2006
Member since 11/19/2006 🔗
1 posts
Looking forward to checking it out myself! I do a lot of solo skiing. Lost my husband 2 years ago. Any others out there like me? Also, looking for discounts on Massanutten lift tickets. Anybody know ideas for these?
Crush
November 19, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
sno_grl - yeah check it out u will be a changed person 4 sure. I am sorry about your loss, very sorry that will take 3-4 more years to find yourself but your are very brave... and stay away from guys like me during that time. But it will be better; time will show you. Until then.... :-)

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.