10 posts
6 users
3k+ views
SeaRide
November 15, 2006
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Check out the webcam for Liberty - [[CLICK HERE]]

I see the guy putting together the new chairs for the new lift at Liberty. Looks like a lot of chairs. I didn't count but looks like over 50 chairs easy.
See it while you can before it's too dark or too late.
jimboc
November 15, 2006
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
prity cool.....to bad that lift doesnt go anywhere
anon
November 17, 2006
Member since 11/17/2006 🔗
14 posts
Quote:

prity cool.....to bad that lift doesnt go anywhere

agreed, I've always thought that was one of the most pointless lifts ever. Even someone who has never been on skis before might use that lift once, maybe twice before wanting a longer run, it's not like dipsy doodle is that demanding. And what's the point of having two bunny hills side by side. Would have been a better use of money to put in a detachable quad for the front side like at whitetail...

On a similar note, is White Lightning any fun? It was closed all last season IIRC. It would be nice to have another black to ski. My personal feeling is that the double blacks on the back side are dangerous most of the time when they are icy, only fun in really good conditions.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 17, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I was just looking at the Ski Liberty skicams and noticed that the Tubing hill appeared to have a covered lift. Anybody know? Am I correct?
The Colonel
SeaRide
November 17, 2006
237 posts
The Colonel,

Yes you are correct. The guys were talking about it not too long ago in this post <-- click
Therusty explained pretty well on why it's better to have it covered.
SeaRide
November 17, 2006
237 posts
I am not excited on the new lift itself. I am just curious how many chairs the guys can put on in one day.
Roy
November 18, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Quote:

agreed, I've always thought that was one of the most pointless lifts ever. Even someone who has never been on skis before might use that lift once, maybe twice before wanting a longer run, it's not like dipsy doodle is that demanding. And what's the point of having two bunny hills side by side.

I used to agree with this statement until I was a ski instructor there. For those that are beginners and are ready to get off the bunny hill, the Dipsy Double chair (old name of that new lift) gives these skiers a much bigger challenge. When you get off that chair and go skier's right, that hill is a big mental challenge for them and a great spot to teach on steeper terrain. And since Liberty is primarily going for the newbie skier, this is a very important part of their terrain.

Quote:

On a similar note, is White Lightning any fun?

YES!!!!!!!!!!! When it is open, it is one of the best run on the mountain (my opinion). Most of the time they use it for league races. If skied correctly (i.e. the most fun way), you setup a spotter so they can make sure your dogleg left turn is clear. Then you build up a lot of speed, hit the dogleg (and can catch some great air), then you will have to immediately begin to turn once you hit the ground. Now you'll have lots of speed to make big sweeping GS turns.

Ok, that's not the best behavior for the ski instructor but I had a lot of fun on it.
anon
November 19, 2006
Member since 11/17/2006 🔗
14 posts
Thanks for the reply. I do understand that liberty is mostly going for the newbs. I'll look forward to white lightning opening sometime this year.
sean116
November 19, 2006
Member since 11/19/2006 🔗
16 posts
i havent been to liberty in a while so correct me if im wrong but they dont seem to have many long, cruising runs. i dont know if i will ever go back.
Roy
November 20, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Quote:

they dont seem to have many long, cruising runs

That is correct. In fact, they only "long, cruising run" that you can say they have is Dipsy Doodle. It is the longest run there, it's green, and it's almost always crowded.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.