Shameless gloating
18 posts
11 users
4k+ views
queenoftheslopes
November 7, 2006
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
So I decided to try and get my resume out there in Utah land since a move to SLC is a strong consideration.

I just got a call for an interview! yay me!
myrto
November 7, 2006
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
Go girl!!!
comprex
November 7, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

Nice one!

(Got floor room for a sleeping bag?)
queenoftheslopes
November 7, 2006
143 posts
I am going to call them back tomorrow. The job is a great fit. I was not planning to move until May/June.

This may change things.

I can just imagine now a room full of dc skiers.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
BushwackerinPA
November 8, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
move in may and you can still get lift serviced. And you can hike for turns nearly year round. Looking forward to another Utard from this site.
Roger Z
November 8, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Congrats! What's the job type, may I ask?
queenoftheslopes
November 8, 2006
143 posts
Its a grant writing position at a small liberal arts college there.

I am calling them back today.
john84
November 8, 2006
Member since 11/7/2005 🔗
27 posts
Westminster?
tromano
November 8, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
I am so happy that at least one of us is getting some early nibbles. Its going to be a whole lot easier moving to Utah with a sugar momma to take care of me.
queenoftheslopes
November 9, 2006
143 posts
woo hoo! Stage one of interview process underway. i just have to write a short grant proposal. Then next week I have a phone interview, and they are working on getting approval to FLY ME OUT THERE for a face to face interview.

Crush
November 9, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
OMG my Queen that's fantastic! Hey keep me posted on your interview we just got our first decent snow ... your visit looks like it will be well-timed.

So particulars, now ... be u a poet, playwright or ???. Or maybe educating the world about Jane Austin ?

C.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 10, 2006
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I wish you the best; but please take a good look at all aspects of living in Utah before you commit. A friend retired from NY ~ 5 years ago and went to Utah. She took a job with a university and did a lot of skiing. She loved the skiing but was increasingly bothered by living in a mormon culture and dealing on a daily basis with the mormon attitude toward women, in work and in her community. After about 2 years she just could not stomach it any longer and moved back to NY. I think this is very much an individual thing but I also think it is wise to think about it before commiting.
Roger Z
November 10, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Well, to each his own. Comparing Mormon culture with DC, I'd choose Mormons in a heartbeat.
tromano
November 10, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Denis, We decided to go all in with SLC. It might end up that after a year or 2 if we can't hack it with the LDS folks we will just head to Denver or Seattle or somewhere else. I have live in DC or the close in burbs for 28 years and I feel like I have enjoyed everything this region has to offer. I don't intend on coming back.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 10, 2006
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Good luck and stay in touch. I enjoyed meeting you guys and skiing with you that day at Timberline in spring 05. Hope to ski with you again.
Crush
November 11, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
D. & Queen - Well yeah but I have been here for over 4 years and in Park City it is much better .. I scare LDS sorts lol .. so many stories I made lots of folks on their missions run in terror from me ha ha. But in Park City we having a saying:

In Utah, but not of Utah ..
Most folks here are from the East or West coast. It's cool ... which brings me to a sad but cool thing:

MY HOME IS UP FOR SALE/RENT IN PARK CITY/THE CANYONS.

Yeah ... I am gonna do this season but I am going to move on, so here is a Virtual Tour of my place. Once the page loads click on VIRTUAL IMAGES at the bottom of the page .. there are three of them on the filmstrip that show our "conteporary-modern" condo in The Canyons ... the *best* !!!! Here is the link:

Our Place

Or maybe you just want to see what the best place in Park City is like hee hee!
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 12, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

I wish you the best; but please take a good look at all aspects of living in Utah before you commit. A friend retired from NY ~ 5 years ago and went to Utah. She took a job with a university and did a lot of skiing. She loved the skiing but was increasingly bothered by living in a mormon culture and dealing on a daily basis with the mormon attitude toward women, in work and in her community. After about 2 years she just could not stomach it any longer and moved back to NY. I think this is very much an individual thing but I also think it is wise to think about it before commiting.

I have two friends who migrated to UT and both are ok with the culture. One guy is a reserve naval officer who teaches history (tenure track) at UT State in Logan and another is a librarian at Weber University in Ogden.

Both friends warn that the salaries in UT are considerably less than comparable jobs in DC, but you get more for your money in UT, especially wih regard to housing. Interestingly enough, the librarian does not ski and the reservist only skis occasionally at Beaver. He never bothers with the big resorts. Go figure: both have arrived at the promised land of snow and neither really gives it a second thought.
ScotS244
November 13, 2006
Member since 01/29/2004 🔗
122 posts
Quote:

woo hoo! Stage one of interview process underway. i just have to write a short grant proposal. Then next week I have a phone interview, and they are working on getting approval to FLY ME OUT THERE for a face to face interview.

Hell yeah! I'm crossing my fingers for you. The LDS presence varies according to location. Within two months of moving here my wife and I had a solid dozen friends who love to ski, mountain bike, hike, drink and party. My wife has now moved on to a second job and people in the workplace have been nothing but cool as shit to her. If you love the outdoors you will meet people quickly. Not to worry.

There is a major storm about to drop it's load on the Wasatch tonight and tomorrow, Brighton is saying they're going to open on Wednesday so I guess I'll have to schedule that "doctors appointment" on outlook...

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.