t-line and improvements as of 11/5/06
9 posts
5 users
2k+ views
kwillg6
November 6, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
My visit to the valley this weekend proved promising. I observed the disappearance of the snow sticks from the parking lot and the growth of new sticks on the hill.
The lift shack for the surface lift is in place and the lift may be installed. I didn't walk up to see. Overall, these developments are very promising. Also, the guns are in place on the wider WL and Salamander. Now all they need is a week or two of cold temps later in the month. Let's pray for the best. Can anyone add to this report?
kwillg6
November 13, 2006
2,066 posts
I was in the valley for a short while this Saturday and now, a week later from my last report, and the remaining sno sticks were still....remaining, peacefully sleeping behind the maintainence hut. I wonder what they plan on doing with them.
North Conway
November 13, 2006
Member since 11/18/2003 🔗
17 posts
Tucker,
Up in the valley last weekend and rode over to T-line. Keith and Bryan went up to the park and saw lights on the ground. Is the park going to have lights this yr? With the opening of WL the trenches should be deep, fun and fast. Have any hard boots hidden around, you may want to buckle up a few times this yr. Both boys have alpine set-ups now and are ready to run. Also, pulled Keiths board out, and found your lifters still on his board, sorry, will get back to you or square up when we see you in a few weeks.
Ray
Tucker
November 13, 2006
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
Hey Ray, Yeah the plan as far as I know is for lights in that rope tow section in the little park. I predict it will be popular. I've been up there building that new lift building for T-line. I was over there last weekend working... to bad I missed seeing you all. Yeah I bet every one with hard boots is going to eat up WL. We have to Snowboard GS races on the schedule this year---maybe we can have one on WL...we'll see. I have an old Burton Hard Plate set up that I've ridden once that I guess I'm going to have to get back on to keep up with Keith and Bryan now. We are already squared up with the lifters...I'm glad there working for him. I'm about to take the tool belt off and start getting ready for the season, and I'm going to try to do a mass e-mail sometime this week to all the snowboard team members/parents. Registrations forms are in the office if anyone wants to sign up before the season opens. We have also organized some pro-discounts with some of the local shops for kids who are on the team. Say hi to the crew for me.
kwillg6
November 14, 2006
2,066 posts
Tucker, where are the remaining sno sticks gonna live? I am really impressed with the progress on the surface lift. It should make the chair ride more entertaining, at a minimum and on busy days, could divert a lot of those kids who want to play away from the main lifts. Are you guys going to host any board races this year? I love watching boarders who know what they're doing running the low gates. It's as impressive as watching a good slalom skier.
Tucker
November 14, 2006
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
I really don't know about the snow sticks...I don't know how many they got sittin in the parkin lot or how many are up etc..your guess is as good as mine...we have one boarder/skiercross scheduled for late february, should be a cool event...I've always wanted to see some of the T-line/Canaan race team race in the skiercross...maybe this year??? we also have a rail jame series scheduled for the season which will be open to skiers and boarders...there will be prizes and places for each individual rail jam event but points for finish places will carry through the season for an overall winner on the series final on Snow Lua...should be pretty cool..the dates of all are terrain park events should be on the T-line web-site...hopefully...maybe...
chadinsomd
November 15, 2006
Member since 02/26/2006 🔗
6 posts
Silly question I know, but what are "snow sticks"? I have not heard of them before, are they used to measure the depth of the snow on the trails once they start making snow? I am originally from Colorado and last skied when I was 18 (other than last year when I skied once at Whitetail in March- 2006).... I'm 33 now so it's been a while.... Just wondering what those ski sticks are? Forgive me for not knowing, I was just curious.
Thanks,
Chad (In southern MD--Lexington Park)
kwillg6
November 15, 2006
2,066 posts
They are part of an airless snow making system. They are usually 20' to 30' in length and resemble a piece of aluminum pipe (which they are) with a fixture on the end. They are normally fixed on some type of pedistal, slopeside and when in use would be connected with the hose to a hydrant and can be leaned out over the slope to direct the snowmaking. They use high water pressure and cold temps to make that wonderful white stuff. A lot of areas are going to this type of snowmaking system since it is easier to use than mobile guns and snow fans
tommo
November 15, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
They are a type of snowmaking gun that consists of a nucleation head (sort of like an industrial strength shower head) at the end of a pole. Some are for "airless" systems and some are for air/water systems. Two of the largest manufactures are HDK and SMI. York, Ratnik and a few others also manufacture snow making equipment, but I don't think they make "sticks" of this sort for permanent mounting. Here's some sites to more info and some great photos:
HDK

SMI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.