Boyce Park won't open this year....
3 posts
2 users
1k+ views
RobertW
November 2, 2006
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
...but they will reopen in 2007-08 after a million dollars in improvements.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06306/734953-85.stm (free)

For those of you who don't know, Boyce is the little ski area located in Allegheny County, 15 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh in the East hills. It sports a modest 180 ft vertical, 4-5 runs and 2 double chairs. Sure, it's not much of a ski hill, but its wide gently pitched beginer slope was a great place to teach new skiers. I taught my 2 daughters there as well as countless relatives and friends. I had some great times there skiing through the snowflakes at night while chasing after my 2 girls. Glad to see that this area will remain viable in the future.

What is interesting in light of the interest in operating Laurel Mountain as a co-op is that according to the article, the DCNR has awarded a grant to the area for $550,000. There is money out there for this kind of thing.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 2, 2006
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Hey, New Ken, I'm across the river in Butler County near Freeport. I was thinking the same about that grant from the DCNR.

Boyce Park is the type of 'feeder hill' that has been vanishing over the last few decades. It's a great place to learn and a really affordable way to get introduced to the sport. I hope they upgrade their rentals and maybe some more snowmaking too.
RobertW
November 3, 2006
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
Quote:

Hey, New Ken, I'm across the river in Butler County near Freeport.

Hey LHC...we're practically neighbors. Nice area. Had my wedding reception at Laube Hall.

Affordable and close are the key. I can remember an under $10 night lift ticket there in recent years. And only 10-15 minutes from my front door. More and better snowmaking would be nice. I think the guns they use must be 30+ years old. I don't think they have a natural source of water there. I believe they have to use "city" water.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.