Willis has gotta do something!
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
myrto
November 1, 2006
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
Not only is the add they are running 3 months old now but that yellow is wayyyy too annoying,
Get with the program.
If they can't be bothered to keep up with one internet ad, why should I trust them with tuning my skis?

Huh?
Tell me that
warren
November 2, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
I really think that their focus is on their operations and customer service. If you haven't gone in, drop on in and check them out. They've always taken GREAT care of me. Tell Luke I sent ya (and no, I don't work there)

-Warren-
Chad
November 2, 2006
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
Quote:

Not only is the add they are running 3 months old now but that yellow is wayyyy too annoying,
Get with the program.
If they can't be bothered to keep up with one internet ad, why should I trust them with tuning my skis?

Huh?
Tell me that

until you mentioned it i never even knew there were ads on this site. use firefox with adblock extension. surf the net ad-free.
Scott - DCSki Editor
November 2, 2006
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Get with the program.

Huh?
Tell me that

until you mentioned it i never even knew there were ads on this site. use firefox with adblock extension. surf the net ad-free.

And that really helps pay my bills and make DCSki possible, Chad.
tommo
November 2, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Awright, call me an idiot, but I like some of the ads on DCSki. They tend to be very focused on skiing and recreational opportunities within driving range. Actually, I'd like to see a bit of northern extension into central PA and NY for all ad categories.
Chad
November 2, 2006
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Get with the program.

Huh?
Tell me that

And that really helps pay my bills and make DCSki possible, Chad.

doh! i dont click on ads, but just about all the adverstisers here get at least some of my business. (unfortunately for my wallet the new willi's is exactly across the street from my work-site. can see it out my window.)

do the advertisers only pay for click-throughs?
Scott - DCSki Editor
November 2, 2006
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Quote:

do the advertisers only pay for click-throughs?

DCSki's banner ads are sold on a season-long basis, and are charged a fixed rate. Advertisers get to view real-time statistics showing the number of impressions (i.e., reader views) and click-throughs their ads generate, and they use that information as part of their decision whether to renew the next year or not. Ad blocking software prevents ad impressions from being tabulated (and of course prevents any possibility of a click-through, which is what advertisers really like to see), which makes it appear that DCSki has a lower number of readers, which could make it more difficult to attract advertisers. In practice, I don't know what percent of readers block ads, although most Internet experts think it's still a fairly small percent.

DCSki also shows textual Google ads in some places (like the left column of pages or towards the bottom of message forum postings); some of these ads pay a very small amount of money (e.g., cents) when they are clicked, while others pay a very small amount of money for each thousand impressions or so. (Google doesn't break out their payment logic, so it's all a little mysterious.)

I'm not a big fan of ads myself, but understand firsthand that they make free sites possible. I've tried to reach a reasonable balance on DCSki, by making sure ad placements are visible but not too annoying. (For example, I try not to intermix them too much with content, instead placing them at the "edges" of pages such as top, bottom, and left column.) DCSki's ads are also very targeted -- you'll see that most, if not all of them, are specific to winter sports in this region. I won't accept mortgage refinancing ads, for example, unless they somehow slip through Google ads (which I've never seen happen).

Of course, if one blocks ads but still wants to support DCSki, there's always the option to make a DCSki Donation.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?