4 posts
4 users
2k+ views
DavidFleming
November 1, 2006
Member since 09/28/2006 🔗
52 posts
Howdy Folks,

Check out the improved aerial view of the proposed sewer plant location. It highlights affected homes, businesses, and areas of heritage.

Aerial View of Proposed Sewer Location

Thanks, and take care.

DF
snowcone
November 1, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
I notice there is a petition link on the site. Might it not be a good idea for the DCSki folks to go sign our names to the dotted line? What's happening to the Sharp Farm could easily happen to any one of us. It's just not right!
sharp1
November 1, 2006
Member since 09/19/2006 🔗
14 posts
Yes, snowcone, thanks.

My grandparents supported Doc Brigham (original pioneer owner of Snowshoe) from the beginning in the 1970's. He visited my great uncle at Sharp's Country Store every day.

We love the skiers from Snowshoe and the homeowners (mostly second homes) Hundreds of Snowshoe homeowners signed individual petitions and mailed them in to help save our historic farm, B&B and country store.

However, the corporate ownership (company running the resort) is campaigning to take our farm via Eminent Domain so they can have a new sewer plant. One Vice President coined a catchy phrase for Snowshoe's Full Page Color ads in the local paper: BUILD IT HERE, BUILD IT NOW. (Here, meaning the open vat/2 million gallon sewer plant on our place, 7 miles away in the middle of our 200 year old farm complex with our home, B&B, country store, red covered bridge and log home built in 1815 where Robert E. Lee visited on two occasions...and right by the Scenic Highway....easy access for the sludge trucks)

West Virginia's Governor, Joe Manchin, offered any suitable state-owned property (more than half of beautiful Pocahontas County is 'public' land) for a $1.00 transfer fee. Yet the County Commission says they will not request this land because "Snowshoe needs this sewer plant now".

Snowshoe is backing a portion of the interim financing earmarked for 'easements and acquisitions'. Mr. Bill Rock told us it was his fiduciary responsibility to the stockholders of Intrawest to make sure that plant went on our farm.

Big business is important and economic growth is important. But, in a rural county with hundreds of acres of out of the way property in the middle of nowhere available, it is absolutely an unnecessary use of Eminent Domain.

We hope you all continue to 'Ski Snowshoe', it is a wonderful paradise. But our community in the valley and my family have our own little wonderful paradise. It is God's gift to our little world. Please, when you visit Snowshoe, look up General Manager, Bill Rock, or when you make your reservations, ask to be connected to his direct line at 304 572 5990. Ask him, in the name of decency, to withdraw Snowshoe from their campaign to take the Sharp farm and ask him to move the sewer plant. (visit http://www.savethesharpfarm to participate in the online petition)

Thank you.
MadMonk
November 2, 2006
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
I'm a pretty pro-development, business-minded type of guy, but this just seems to be a terrible idea. I'm guessing the Intrawest suits just want expediency probably to make Snowshoe more attractive for sale, but it would be a shame for such a nice little, historic area to be ruined in the process.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?