Best Route to Denver
13 posts
8 users
3k+ views
Roy
October 22, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
This January, my buddy and I are planning one of my dream trips. We are driving to Denver, picking up spouses and friends, skiing Summit County for a week, dropping them back at the airport, and then storm chasing for a week.

Quesion: What is the easiest and quickest way to drive to Denver?
Taylormatt
October 22, 2006
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Jump on 70 West here in SW PA and keep on driving until the Pena Blvd exit in Denver. St. Louis or KC make good halfway points.
Roger Z
October 22, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
How many of you are coming on the trip? If it's just one or two of you and you can make it to KC, you might be able to spend the night at my place (save some money that way). It depends on my work and personal travel schedule though.

One of the best things that can be said about living in KC is that someone is always passing over/by/through.

Anyway if you're interested PM me and we can chat.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 22, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
For the I70 route make like your going to Seven Springs, but keep on to Pittsburgh and catch I70 from there all the way to Denver. If I remember correctly it's about 25 hours of road time to Denver.
A few years back I went out that way, but for variety came back via I64 from St. Louis, then I79 in WV, I68 and I270. If you go that route near Charleston, WV you can also take I64 to I81&I66. Did that route about 15 years ago. The southern routes may add an hour to the overall trip.
Scott - DCSki Editor
October 22, 2006
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Hi Roy, sounds like a great trip.

I-70 is the best route, but long sections of it are exceedingly boring. One recommendation I would make is to invest in satellite radio! I've taken a few road trips across the country, and I remember the days of desperately clinging to decent radio stations that briefly appeared near big cities and then gradually faded to static and country (and to me, there's not much difference -- no offense to country fans! )

In 2003, I chronicled a road trip I took along I-70, also in January:

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=717

Weather can be tricky in January. Much of the country was snow-covered. There wasn't a lot of traffic on I-70, though, and hotels along I-70 tend to be cheaper in January than in the summer. (I guess there's just not that many folks packing the kids in the car for a January road trip!)

During the storm chasing part of your trip, you might keep going on I-70 until it dead-ends at I-15 and then head north to Salt Lake City. My favorite section of I-70 is in central Utah. But, states are big out there, so that's a good day's drive.
BushwackerinPA
October 22, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
I70 as every one else has said
Roy
October 23, 2006
609 posts
I think it's safe to say I-70 has won. We are still going to watch the weather and try to avoid it as much as possible. Last thing we'd want is an Ice Storm driving through the midwest.
Taylormatt
October 23, 2006
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Watch the forecasts and plan your overnight stays. Keep in mind there is basically nothing between St. Louis and KC and absolutely nothing between KC and Denver but the occasional Stuckey's and a gas station.
Roger Z
October 23, 2006
2,181 posts
Well, that's not exactly true. Columbia is halfway between KC and St. Louis. Heading west from KC, you've got Lawrence (which would be a suburb out east, not a separate town), Topeka, Manhattan, then Salina. After Salina the towns get really, really map-dot-ish (I think Hayes it the last town over 4,000 on your way to Denver). The hotel rates in Salina are pretty good. I'd bet that Hayes and Burlington, CO have good rates too.

But it does get farther and farther between as you head west. Also, another word of warning: if the weather turns crappy, there are gates across I-70 in the western part of KS, and they're not afraid to close 'em. I think this is usually reserved for tornado weather but I'll bet they wouldn't keep the road open in a big snow either. West Kansas is whiteout country.
comprex
October 23, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Quote:

Watch the forecasts and plan your overnight stays. Keep in mind there is basically nothing between St. Louis and KC and absolutely nothing between KC and Denver but the occasional Stuckey's and a gas station.

Am I the only one who reads this and thinks 'kiteskiing venue'?
Roy
October 24, 2006
609 posts
Or you can pull people with snowmobiles. More dependable than the wind.

I didn't know about the gates on 70. I never heard of that. Depending on the weather, we may go south. My ski partner (he's not from Ski Brokeback, not that there's anything wrong with that) lives in Raleigh. So depending on weather, I'll meet him down there and we'll go a Southern Route.

Everything is dependent on weather. I just can't wait for the adventure.
jimboc
October 26, 2006
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
Loveland,CO
10/26/2006, 5:30am
Temp 25

Today:22"

40" past 6 days
Roger Z
October 26, 2006
2,181 posts
Yup. Really sucks I've got a conference in Denver next week.

Am I gonna get first turns on this board this year? The Kansas City boy??? Didn't Bushwacker already make some tracks in the PA Highlands?

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?