More CO Snow News
5 posts
3 users
1k+ views
Roger Z
October 21, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Wolf Creek just announced that they will be opening on Friday the 27th- the earliest opening ever. From their website (http://www.wolfcreekski.com/snow.asp):

"Wolf Creek Ski Area - Earliest Opening Ever! On Friday, October 27th, Wolf Creek Ski Area will celebrate its earliest opening ever with 57 inches of snowfall from September and October! Wolf Creek Ski Area is reporting an all-natural snow depth of 15 inches at the midway and 25 inches at summit. Early season conditions do exist. Treasure, Bonanza and Nova lifts will open at 8:30 AM while construction continues on the new Raven Lift. The ski school, rental, sport shop, Wolf Pup Building, Wolf Creek Lodge (the main day lodge) and the Pathfinder Bar will also be open. More information will be available as opening day approaches. Forest Service Road 391 is now groomed for cross-country skiing from the end of the Alberta Parking lot to the Alberta Lake Dam. Wolf Creek is excited about celebrating 30 Years of free Cross Country skiing this 2006 - 2007 season with a special schedule of festivities planned for the occasion! Ski the Most Snow in Colorado at Wolf Creek!"

I looked at the distance- it appears to be 4-4 1/2 hours from CO Springs. Too far for my brother and I to get out to for a day, but I have given him many warnings that I'd like to go there in Feb or Mar for a long weekend. We'll see!
BushwackerinPA
October 21, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
wimp I have day tripped MRG before from pittsburgh...4.5 hours = a short drive plus you got 2 drivers.
Roy
October 22, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I've daytripped snowshoe plenty of times during the week (never on a weekend).

Wolf Creek is about 4-4.5 hours. I went there about 4 years ago, however, it was in summer. Hopefully, I am going there this year.
Roger Z
October 22, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Yeah I'm wimpy that way. Murphy and I did a day trip to Snowshoe from B-burg a couple years ago. Apparently all the spritely undergrads do that all the time. It left us both exhausted and HE did most of the driving. He must have slept well that night!

So what's the longest day trip anyone has ever done? I guess mine is 3.5 hours each way. Bushwacker how far is it from Pittsburgh to MRG? And if it's over six hours each way, can it legitimately be called a "day trip" anymore???
BushwackerinPA
October 22, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
10 hours from pittsburgh(9 hours from Hidden Valley) you leave at 10pm friday night before and ski saturday, start driving when packed at around 5pm get back to hidden valley at 3am sunday morningwake up at 8:30 head down to lineup.

I consider any trip where you dont spend the night a day trip

as for colorado they are going off right now!!!

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64793
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64748

these were both taken yesterday. enjoy

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.