myrto
October 12, 2006
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
Murphy
October 13, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Clear skies meant no snow last night (to the best of my knowledge) but the temps sure did drop. 19 at Snowshoe, 21 at Burkes Garden and 28 in my backyard. Canaan hasn't report yet but they may be the lowest.

I also heard Snowmaker became the first to make snow in the Mid-Atlantic! I'm sure we'll get a report soon.

Edit: Mt. Leconte got down to 13! In mid-October!
Roger Z
October 14, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Mount Leconte is in a world of its own. Didn't you say it snowed in Mid-May there this spring?
Snowmakers
October 14, 2006
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Quote:

Clear skies meant no snow last night (to the best of my knowledge) but the temps sure did drop. 19 at Snowshoe, 21 at Burkes Garden and 28 in my backyard. Canaan hasn't report yet but they may be the lowest.

I also heard Snowmaker became the first to make snow in the Mid-Atlantic! I'm sure we'll get a report soon.

Edit: Mt. Leconte got down to 13! In mid-October!

Sorry for the neglect. Here we go.

I fired up at 6:10am Friday morning. With current water temps around 50F, ground temps way to warm, and the relatively high temp (For snowmaking standards, a Wetbulb of 25 is high), I did not get very much out of it, but I expected that. As the water temps cool off, Ill be able to make the 3-5' mounds my system is capable of.

Friday morning pictures-

BushwackerinPA
October 14, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Mount Leconta where is it?

Congrats snowamkers on being one of the first on the east coast to make snow.
Murphy
October 14, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

Mount Leconte is in a world of its own. Didn't you say it snowed in Mid-May there this spring?

I don't recall but I wouldn't be surprised. I did mention seeing some form of ice on the side of the road up to Clingman's Dome last June. I'm not sure if it was left over plowed snow from the winter but it looked fresh. It may have been packed hail that had to be plowed off the road.

Quote:

Mount Leconta where is it?

It's in the Smokies. The weather station is at 6,400'. There's also a lodge up there that I'd love to stay at some day. The shortest hike to the lodge is 5.5 miles with a 2,560 foot elevation change. There are other longer but easier hikes to the lodge though (as well as harder hikes including a 6.5 miles 3,820 foot elevation change hike).

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.