Support Local Ski Club - See a Good Ski movie :)
16 posts
10 users
6k+ views
Aaron
October 9, 2006
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
Some shameless ski club promotion:

My school's ski club is having a showing of Teton Gravity Research's new ski movie Anomaly on Saturday Nov. 4. Pre-sale tickets are only $8.49 and it'd be great to see some dcski.com people there, all profits from the ski movie will go to our club.

You can get more information (times, place) and buy tickets here: http://activities.tjhsst.edu/snowboard/index.php?option=com_ticket

A trailer for the movie is here: http://www.tjhsst.edu/snowboard/trailer.mov

There will be lift ticket giveaways to Liberty, Whitetail, and Roundtop as well as gear giveaways from Willi's Ski and Snowboard Shop.

If you have any questions, reply back or PM me

Thanks!

Aaron Perman
President TJ Ski and Snowboard Club

PS - We're just a ski club trying to raise a few dollars. If this violates board policy, I'm sorry and moderators please just kill this thread...
ScotS244
October 9, 2006
Member since 01/29/2004 🔗
122 posts
Damn!! I would've definitely come to watch the movie and help you raise some money. I was only five minutes from there before I moved. I'm going to have to catch it Park City in a week or so. Good luck with the fund raising.
Scott - DCSki Editor
October 9, 2006
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Quote:

PS - We're just a ski club trying to raise a few dollars. If this violates board policy, I'm sorry and moderators please just kill this thread...

Doesn't violate policy at all. I'm happy to see local ski clubs promote their activities.
BushwackerinPA
October 10, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
aaron where is you school at?
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Rickh
October 10, 2006
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
If your taking requests, I vote for "Hot Dog - The Movie"
bktim
October 10, 2006
Member since 06/14/2006 🔗
32 posts
Hi Aaron,
Please email me your address at timl@blueknob.com and will mail you some lift tickets and a mid-week ski trip for two that includes lodging for two nights and lift tickets.
"Ski Good or Eat Wood"
Tim Lyons
Blue Knob All Seasons Resort
Aaron
October 10, 2006
54 posts
Quote:

aaron where is you school at?

Here's the address:
6560 Braddock Road, Alexandria VA 22312 (5 minutes from the Braddock Rd. Beltway exit)

The school's in Northern Virginia. Even though it's an Alexandria address it's a little closer to Annandale.

Thanks Tim! You have an email waiting
Chad
October 11, 2006
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
Quote:

Hi Aaron,
Please email me your address at timl@blueknob.com and will mail you some lift tickets and a mid-week ski trip for two that includes lodging for two nights and lift tickets.
"Ski Good or Eat Wood"
Tim Lyons

while you are at it here is my address:

Chad Hansen
906 Cottage Loop
Bristow, VA 20136

thanks!
Chad
October 13, 2006
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Hi Aaron,
"Ski Good or Eat Wood"
Tim Lyons

while you are at it here is my address:

Chad Hansen
906 Cottage Loop
Bristow, VA 20136

thanks!

tim...YOU ARE THE MAN!!! two blue knob vouchers in my mailbox today! funny i even modified my mailing address above as part of the joke, but the mailman got it to me anyway! blue knob is one of the few local hills i have never been to. that will be changing soon.

thanks again tim!
Aaron
October 13, 2006
54 posts
Tim, thanks a bunch, got them today!
Tucker
October 13, 2006
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
BK Tim, cheers to you, now that is some proactive smart marketing, and a great gesture!!! Went to Blue Knob once for an AASI event...caught it on a powder day...great event, great terrain, nice pub, friendly place, look forward to getting back!
JohnL
October 14, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

If your taking requests, I vote for "Hot Dog - The Movie"

For ten dollars a person, I'll gladly host a viewing at my place.
JohnL
October 14, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

I was only five minutes from there before I moved.

Sounds like we were neighbors. TJ High School is at the end of my street.

Aaron,
Your club's webmaster needs to adjust the font color/contrast. Or mebbe an old geezer like myself needs a new set of contacts. Or are you trying to prevent teachers from reading what you're posting on the web?

I've got training that weekend, but hopefully I'll have the time to check out the film and support your club.

Also, how about a trip report on Argentina?
Crush
October 14, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
.. also the site's gallery page has a Javascript error at the end with the call to search_SearchBlock_init() ... looks like it replaced some old ColdFusion stuff ... sorry I run with my debugger on (for my own stuff).
Aaron
October 14, 2006
54 posts
Jon - I'm on it with getting the webmaster to fix up the site (or I'll just do it if he doesn't soon), and we are aware that the gallery is a tad buggy, but with most of the officers (including me) applying to college right now we probably won't get the gallery 100% until after Nov. 1.

And here yea go for an Argentina trip report:

Las Lenas. Epic. 5 Days of Marte in 2 weeks.

The day I got there was a storm day, with pretty much just the front pomas open. A bit dissapointing. I wake up the next morning to a perfect blue bird day. Waist deep powder, sunny, and no wind. The first half of the day I skied the traverse off of vulcano. I thought this was incredible... until they open Marte around 2 PM. This was the first day of the season Marte was open from what I gathered. The 2 runs I had on Marte that day were the 2 best runs I've ever had in my life.

The front face of the Marte lift is steep, with a continous 30-50 degree slope. For my 2 runs on Marte that day since the lift had just opened and there hadn't been any wind it was all untracked perfect powder. Incredible. After the 2nd run, the altitude forced me to go in, I live at about sea level and had never been at 12,000ft before. Let's just say my head and stomach weren't too happy about it, but it was more than worth it.

The next week and a bit were pretty much storm days. Marte was closed, but vulcano was open for the majority of the time. The snow was great, even though it was windy, it dumped so much snow (10ft+) that pretty much everything was powder. The biggest issue on the storm days was light. On most of the days it was okay, but on 2 or 3 days it was bad enough to come in early because the light was so flat, you really had to stay on pist on ski near rocks to keep your bearings. On these days it was best to follow someone in front of you (our guides were pro skiers, and they new the mountain well enough not to need to see), because judging slope was pretty much impossible on these days. There was one day that after one run we all came in because it was just plain scary even to ski groomers. Between the snow, wind, and light the visibility was many times under 5 ft.

For the last 4 days of skiing it was sunny with not a cloud in the sky. Marte was open all 4 of these days. The first day the snow was pretty good, by the second and third day it was hard to find powder and becoming more windpacked, and by the forth day with the sun so strong (40-50 degrees) the snow had become more like spring corn snow.

All in all a great trip, and I think I was very lucky with the weather. Hopefully I'll get back there sometime. I think the key to enjoying Las Lenas is to go there without the expectation of Marte, things happening (such as lifts opening) anywhere near on time, and understanding that the reliability of things we take for granted (such as ATM machines having money in them) are not reliable there. It also helps if you eat meat, Las Lenas is one of the more expensive areas in Argentina, and yet you can still get a good dinner at a nice place (2 filet mingons - unlike anything you can even get in the states) for about $12 US.
Aaron
November 1, 2006
54 posts
FYI - The movie is this Saturday and you can still buy tickets for the presale price online (this thread kind of morphed... take a look at the first post for details).

-Aaron
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.