Corridor H--could it be?
7 posts
4 users
2k+ views
dmh
October 9, 2006
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
127 posts
Just back from Canaan Valley and it was spectacular. Fall colors near peak and cold enough to remind of winter.

It was very frustrating on the drive over to see what appeared to be a finished Wardensville to Baker section of CH still closed. Not much activity at the bridge, the entrance at Wardensville nearly finished, with lane lines and signs finished. On the way back this morning I saw a couple of truck barreling down the west bound closed section of the road at the Baker exit. There were some WVDOH workers at the Baker interchange. I pulled up to the stop sign, lowered the window and asked when they thought the road would be open. To my surprise, and I must admit continuing skepticism, he said they are trying to open it this Friday, October 13. An auspicious opening date, if it happens.
Packyderm1
October 9, 2006
Member since 11/8/1999 🔗
36 posts
I didn't post it at the time, but the WVDOH website for Corridor H said last week that they would open that section sometime this month. Nice to see that didn't mean Oct. 31.
bawalker
October 10, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Construction equipment was brought into the Old Rt 55 and CH ending section just west of Wardensville last week. Signs have been up for about 2 weeks with new paving and lane markings having followed shortly there after. There are now street lamps on the lower section of CorridorH from Squirrel Gap road to the intersection. The new equipment in place will begin making the change to the current road so it veers left at the bottom of Sandy Ridge. This will force traffic coming off of Sandy Ridge to come to a stop.

When i was upto to the McCauly Bridges last week... base grading hadn't been done to the approach ramps of the bridges. I'd be surprised if they get things open this week, but I'm betting it might be the end of Oct.
dmh
October 14, 2006
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
127 posts
Anyone know if the section opened as rumored yesterday?
bawalker
October 14, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Nope, construction is still not finished on the Rt 55/259 alternations at the base of Sandy Ridge. It looks like another 1-2 weeks worth of work before they alter the roadway to start diverting traffic onto CH.

NOTE: A few weeks ago I posted that there were 40MPH speed limit signs from the edge of Wardensville for about 2 once after getting on CH. That was appearantly changed this week to 50MPH.
Norsk
October 19, 2006
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Any update on Wardensville-Baker? Headed up to new pad in CV this weekend.
bawalker
October 19, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I don't forsee CorridorH open this weekend. Just yesterday crews started holding up traffic on old Rt 55 at the base of Sandy ridge to start making the road veer left onto Corridor H. However the opening is coming soon. New lines have been painted on the road, the street lamps on the road (you'll see in pictures) at the new entrance have been turned on. I'd give it by Oct 31.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?