Wintergreen update
12 posts
5 users
4k+ views
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
September 26, 2006
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
small news from the southern end of DCSKI... we got an update in the mail from wintergreen:

* 10 new snowguns on the highlands
* expanded beginner and treehouse areas with 2 new snowguns and a magic carpet
* expanded rental area (avoided like the plague).

(I think they are just getting rid of the kiddie tube run and making that into the beginner area.)

i was hoping for a new lift on big acorn and i think lower diamond hill needs snowguns even more, but i'll take more snow on the highlands thank you.

weekday season passes went up to $199, but have more discounts associated.

hey, this means that ski season is getting closer
skier219
September 28, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

hey, this means that ski season is getting closer

I'm ready!
TLaHaye
September 29, 2006
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
I saw something about widening Cliffhanger too. Don't know what that means, but if they're widening lower CH and adding guns to the headwall there, it would be good. Devil's Elbow (Devil's Funnel?) could use some widening too, but I don't see anything about that.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
October 1, 2006
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Hope they go easy on widening Cliffhanger. I hate to see ski run after ski run of uniform width, and Wintergreen's Cliffhanger is one of the best runs in the region.

I noticed the extra benefits of a Wintergreen pass, too. Fifty percent off at 7S and the Whitetail-Roundtop-Liberty trio? Seems like a great deal if you can free up a weekday.

Forty-nine degrees on top of Devil's Knob at Wintergreen this morning. It's getting closer!

Cheers,
Woody
October 1, 2006
925 posts
I'd vote against any widening at wintergreen - my only real complaint is lack of variety. in fact, i might even vote for planting some more trees - remember when eagle swoop was two slopes?

49? hey, we've had that down here in durham. any trees changing color up there?
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
October 1, 2006
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Quote:

I'd vote against any widening at wintergreen - my only real complaint is lack of variety. in fact, i might even vote for planting some more trees - remember when eagle swoop was two slopes?

49? hey, we've had that down here in durham. any trees changing color up there?

Agreed on adding trees, pagamony. Seems that with their snowmaking capacity and overall expertise, Wintergreen could create Virginia's only glade skiing.

Colors are just beginning to show up here in the Shenandoah Valley and northern VA Blue Ridge and Alleghenies. Black gums and red maples have touches of color, as do the sugar maples. Looks as if the peak will be Oct 15-20, pretty much as usual.
October 2, 2006
925 posts
hey Craig - you getting the pass this year? i'm fence sitting, just had yet another kid break an arm yesterday, pretty serious surgery - no skiing for her for a long time. hope we get some real snow at wg more than once this year.
Ullr
October 8, 2006
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Quote:

Devil's Elbow (Devil's Funnel?) could use some widening too, but I don't see anything about that.

Have to agree with the other two posters on this one, No Widening. If fact, a couple of good glade runs would be a nice way to give the mountain some terrain options.
skier219
October 15, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

hey Craig - you getting the pass this year? i'm fence sitting, just had yet another kid break an arm yesterday, pretty serious surgery - no skiing for her for a long time. hope we get some real snow at wg more than once this year.

Hey Dave, sorry to hear about your daughter's arm -- how did she break it?

I am going to get a pass for sure -- will probably order it online in a couple more weeks (you know, keep more money in the bank so I can pretend I am going to buy more gear). WG set an open date of November 25 (weather permitting) according to the e-mail I just got. I hope I can be there on opening day or soon thereafter. One of my goals for this season is to get in more skiing early on -- I blew a couple chances last Nov/Dec, and then everything crapped out in January. When we got to March, I found myself wishing for those December ski days!

--

I also vote for no trail widening -- they take out more and more trees every year and I don't like it. Lower Cliffhanger is one of my favorite trails, and one reason is the narrow (for WG) width and steep pitch at the end. I would love to see them actually plant some trees, but I bet that would just get in the way of grooming.
TLaHaye
October 16, 2006
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
I just find Devil's Elbow far too much of a funnel at the bottom. It gets way too congested, especially since they opened The Gap, or whatever that trail is from skiers's right on Dobie.
October 19, 2006
925 posts
nahh, keep it tight. i actually took my skis out of the bag this weekend, and yep, the boots still fit the bindings so let it snow...

the girl with the broken arm is not the one you met, Craig, but her younger sister. she has two more weeks of cast #1, then the pins in her elbow come out and she gets cast #2 for another 8 weeks. it was the trampoline - in our own back yard

btw- your wife back on skis this year?
skier219
October 20, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

the girl with the broken arm is not the one you met, Craig, but her younger sister. she has two more weeks of cast #1, then the pins in her elbow come out and she gets cast #2 for another 8 weeks. it was the trampoline - in our own back yard

btw- your wife back on skis this year?

Yikes, sorry to hear that! I hear about a lot of trampoline injuries, come to think of it -- at least as many as skiing.

I think my wife is going to skip this ski season, and I can't say I blame her -- last year's ACL injury and surgery was an ordeal. Though, I will pack her gear if we do a group trip with her family, and wouldn't be surprised if she decides to ski at some point. She's pretty much back to normal in terms of knee function and fitness. It's just the memory of the injury and fear of re-injury that gives her reservations. Hopefully she'll get over it eventually!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.