CV Color will peak in next several weeks
19 posts
10 users
8k+ views
kwillg6
September 26, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I noticed yesterday as I sadly left the valley that the leaves were really getting ready for their full dose of color. I would imagine that peak will be in no more than the next two weeks. Then, we can look forward to the color of white!
tgd
September 26, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
I'm heading up this weekend and next. Really looking forward to the colors. IMO, the colors in WV are much stronger than the Shenandoah here in VA. Also looking forward to the 33 degree low forecast for Davis Friday night! This comes after some rain as a front passes through - depending on timing could be some white mixed in! I can feel the death throes of the unseason are upon us.
Tom
kwillg6
September 26, 2006
2,066 posts
33 in Davis equates to 28 in the valley under normal circumstances. Hmmmmm..... so you want some white contrast for those vivid fall colors?
fishnski
September 26, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Remember last year on Oct 24th?? A foot of white mixed with the tail end of all that color..awesome!.....& then a 6 inch snowfall followed by an allout BLIZZARD during T-Giving week...I can still feel my young house shuddering with the windgusts!
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
tomimcmillar
September 26, 2006
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
Quote:

Remember last year on Oct 24th?? A foot of white mixed with the tail end of all that color..awesome!.....& then a 6 inch snowfall followed by an allout BLIZZARD during T-Giving week...I can still feel my young house shuddering with the windgusts!

And then it was 70 for 3 weeks in January.....

sorry, couldn't resist.

Will be in the Smokehole wknd of 14/15/16.
Going big with a mtn bike loop across the Gnarly.

can't wait!
fishnski
September 26, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Hoe Hoe Ho de door! You must be talkin about Masanutin or sumpin..not the Highest valley east of the Rockies!! Lets set the record straight, starting with a mean temp of 23 degrees & 44 inches of snow for feb.....yes that went downhill for Jan but the valley still managed a mean temp of 32 degrees with 31 inches of snow! About Whitetail's average for the whole year...DUNK!...couldn't resist
jonjon1
September 26, 2006
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
Quote:

33 in Davis equates to 28 in the valley under normal circumstances. Hmmmmm..... so you want some white contrast for those vivid fall colors?

I assume that you mean that the forecasts for Davis are off by an average of 5 degrees, because there certainly is not a five degree difference in temperatures between Davis and the valley.
Tucker
September 26, 2006
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
Depending on the circumstances...inversion among other things etc...or even on some "normal" circumstances there could be more than 5 degrees of difference between Davis and the Valley...seen it myself dozens of times atleast. Sometimes during the winter(or any time of the year really) there's even 10 degrees difference in temperature between the bottom of the valley and the top of cabin mountain or Davis. I've been out when it was inverted so much, one of those mornings where the smoke from the chimneys barely seems to rise above the roof tops, that it was 20 degrees at the bottom of the timberline and 35 degrees at the top. It's hard to say anything is "usually" about the weather but five degrees colder in the valley than in Davis sounds like a probable situation to me...and besides I say bring it on if it means snow!!!
Murphy
September 26, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Inversion would never lead to snow in the valley and rain at higher elevations. Freezing rain at the lower elevation is about all you could hope for if the precip was rain at the higher elevations.
Snowmakers
September 27, 2006
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Quote:

Inversion would never lead to snow in the valley and rain at higher elevations. Freezing rain at the lower elevation is about all you could hope for if the precip was rain at the higher elevations.

Being a weather freak/guru (my career of choice), Thank you.

To better explain...

Tucker
September 27, 2006
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
Cool graph...I was just using the case of inversion as an example of extreme temperature variations in the area...If it was raining in davis and snowing in the valley or if it was five degrees colder in the valley than in Davis it wouldn't be inversion anyway. THe elevation in the valley is higher than the elevation in Davis. Either way let it snow I say!....NOw that I think about it there is precipitation event that is common in the valley where you can have snow at lower elevations and not a higher during inversion situations......Snowguns/Snowmaking. Right???

Hey Guru, in your proffesional opinion let me ask you this ..what do you think of the validity of these sayings/theories/tales...

dry cricks in the fall=cold winter/lots'o'snow

more black than white woolybugger=cold winter/lots'o'snow

weak hurricane season=cold winter lots'o'snow

does this last one indicate el nino vs la nina pattern
kwillg6
September 27, 2006
2,066 posts
I threw the 5 degree figure in there as a average not taking in the inversion factor. Under normal circumstances, through my 15 years of being a regular to the valley, the valley is cooler than Davis due to the elevation there. The ridges can be considerably colder. All I want to see for the season is a gradual cooling through November with temps falling into the 30's for highs and the upper teens for lows and staying there. Come December, I'd like to see several heavy, deep snows which will pack down and create the type of base which could last all winter making both back country and alpineskiers happy. Come January and February, how about an average snowfall of 10-12" a week with an occasional dump for freshies! By mid March, I'd like to see lots of sunshine and blue sky with an occasional snow to keep things looking and skiing fresh. Now if only the world were perfect......
jonjon1
September 27, 2006
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
Davis and the valley are very similar in my experience. I compare the CV observer temps to mine here in Davis and its amazingly close. Davis' elevation is 3100-3200 feet, while the valley is 3200-3300 feet. You may be talking about some of the higher ridges though.
Murphy
September 27, 2006
618 posts
Quote:

Davis and the valley are very similar in my experience. I compare the CV observer temps to mine here in Davis and its amazingly close. Davis' elevation is 3100-3200 feet, while the valley is 3200-3300 feet. You may be talking about some of the higher ridges though.

As a matter of fact, according to the NWS data their Davis weather station is 500' higher than the Canaan station.

FYI, the Canaan station was almost 10 degrees colder than Davis. The high elevation valleys really have the coldest weather this time of year. Burkes Garden has already been well into the 20's.
Roger Z
September 27, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Is the Davis station at Canaan Heights? That's around 3700 feet.
David
September 27, 2006
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I was in Harman today doing some trout fishing in the Dry Fork....we caught about 20 between 4 of us. I alone caught atleast 30-40 leaves. There are tons down in the the water already!! The trees seem to slowly be changing colors. I have a few pics that I will put up as soon as my buddy gets them loaded off his camera.
Murphy
September 27, 2006
618 posts
Quote:

Is the Davis station at Canaan Heights? That's around 3700 feet.

It must be. It's actually at 3815' and the it's full name is the Davis 2SE station so I assume it's south east of town which would put it near Canaan Heights.
tgd
September 28, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Dave Lasher's Canaan Valley Weather Station sits at just under 3700 feet. Its name s Davis 3SE. Best Valley weather site on the web: http://canaanweather.4t.com/

I believe the Valley is generally 5-10 degrees colder than Davis in Winter. I don't think altitude is the main factor though. As jonjon pointed out, the altitude difference between Davis and the Valley floor is almost negligable. The Valley is just more boxed in between Cabin Mountain and Canaan/Mozark Mountains. This sets up some crazy microclimates there, with some incredible pockets of cold air floating about. I have seen the temp on the thermometer in my vehicle drop dramatically sometimes up to 20 degrees passing through these frigid "bubbles" of cold air trapped between ridges and dips in the topography. At our place in Timberline, around 3400', cold air seems to drop down from the Sods and pile up against the mountain side. It is not unusual to observe the temp drop 5 degrees or more after I leave 32 and head up Timberline Road towards the resort.

Tom
David
September 28, 2006
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Here are some shots from the other day..Don't mind the haze. I was taking them from the car and my buddies didn't want me to open the window.

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?