Nice midweek cold shot
31 posts
13 users
6k+ views
Snowmakers
September 18, 2006
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
The first significant one of the season.

Just to throw out some forecasts-

Snowshoe:
Tuesday Night: A chance of showers, mainly after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. Northwest wind between 10 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Myself:
Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 39. North wind between 5 and 7 mph.

DC Suburbs:
Mid 40's Wednesday night.

Some really nice color here. Our maples are about half covered in red. And there is a definate color contrast between the valley and surrounding mountains.

Ill take a frost, please.
Snowmakers
September 19, 2006
222 posts
rmcva
September 19, 2006
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
Since they often update their report - here's what's listed for Snowshoe now (6:30pm on 8/19/06).

Wednesday: A slight chance of rain and snow showers before 9am, then a slight chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45. North wind between 10 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

It's getting closer!
SeaRide
September 19, 2006
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Wow.. so we're skipping the frost season and get down to the snow part. cool.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Snowmakers
September 19, 2006
222 posts
Quote:

Wow.. so we're skipping the frost season and get down to the snow part. cool.

Im expecting a frost advisory for my county tomorrow night...
queenoftheslopes
September 19, 2006
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
WOW! Snow, really?

That makes me sooo excited. I hope we actually have a winter here. I love the cold weather.
langleyskier
September 20, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Wow!! That means snowshoe and Mt Washignton will have their first snow of the season on the same night!!! If anyone lives up there please give a report tomorrow morning!!!
Snowmakers
September 20, 2006
222 posts
Actually, MTW had ther first snow back in August.

I want to say August 24th.

But snow, STILL IN THE SUMMER SEASON, is quite significant.
Still in the summer season...
Snowmakers
September 20, 2006
222 posts
Quote:

Wow!! That means snowshoe and Mt Washignton will have their first snow of the season on the same night!!! If anyone lives up there please give a report tomorrow morning!!!

You can also check the 24 hr image sequence from Dolly Sods. Best thing we have other than first hand pictures. I highly doubt anyone from snowshoe will take the time to het up at 7am and get out a camera.

...If only Joe was still there- Then wed have hourly reports.

http://www.fsvisimages.com/doso1/24.html
BushwackerinPA
September 20, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Sorry guys no snow at the shoe this morning but with a Hi of 55 in hte burgh today I am happy. Great biking weather and this is my favorite time of year to be outside besides skiing.
Taylormatt
September 20, 2006
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Let's hope it continues and an Indian Summer doesn't rear it's ugly head next month. By my highly unscientific theory, as far back as I can remember, everytime we've had enough snow to stick to the ground in October (above 1500'), the major Mid Atlantic players have had an early opening. Usually Thanksgiving and occasionally (although it's been a LONG time, '92 iirc) a week earlier.

Let's hope for a couple inches of overnight snow in late October in the upper elevations so my theory can live on.

fishnski
September 20, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
It got down to 40 at pointy knob(3700') which is across from MPC so it would not be out of the question that MPC at nearly 4800' got some lake effect slush! could be happining now...its 40 at the knob allready.
fishnski
September 21, 2006
3,530 posts
I posted a couple of weeks ago on how things were looking good up at Barrow AK..below normal temps for the summer with the tail end of which being well below norm....well its already snowed in Utah & now its 32 & snowing good up & around the vail area! Mount Washington is getting snowshowers (32 also) & west va just missed some...they will get it from the next good cold front. Starting early this year folks!...can we say Global warming?...PS the reason I feel that it could snow at MPC when it is too warm at Snowshoe is because MPC is 40 miles north in latitude...that is the same distance from downtown DC straight north to Westminister,MD way up in Carrol Co...catch my snow drift?
Murphy
September 21, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
It happened! Snowshoe officially had a TRACE of snow last night. Unfortunately it wasn't enough to register as "measurable". Snowshoe is running a free lift ticket give-away contest. All you have to do is pick the first day of measurable (1") snowfall at Snowshoe and you win. I found the detail here.
TLaHaye
September 21, 2006
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
My son reported 37 this morning in Blacksburg.
bawalker
September 21, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Is it me, or are we seeing this about a month earlier than usual??

Last year I remembered my front yard was brown as toast from the lack of rain and hot temps from late august through early sept last year. I remember that specifically because we had a black cat that had 5 kittens and when they trotted through the yard, they all stood out like crazy from the dead grass. Now it needs mowing again for the second time in a week and I'm gonna have to wear a jacket to mow.
Murphy
September 21, 2006
618 posts
Quote:

My son reported 37 this morning in Blacksburg.

Yep, I saw a few patches of frost. Is your son going to Tech?
fishnski
September 21, 2006
3,530 posts
Mr Bushwack was wrong..Yeh Murphy, I heard from a different source than yours that it snowed also. ...so that means MPC was DUMPED ON!!
Murphy
September 21, 2006
618 posts
I believe Bushwackerin was refering to Wednesday when he said it hadn't snowed. It snowed Thursday morning. I didn't mention my source but it was the NWS. Maybe I've posted that link so many times you just assumed it.
Snowmakers
September 21, 2006
222 posts
I hit a chilly 38 with a light frost.

IN SUMMER.
TLaHaye
September 21, 2006
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
Yep. It was a major goal, and he didn't get in as a freshman, but worked hard and was able to transfer.

I'm very proud of him (even though I can't get him to ski anymore since his little brother got so good).
Murphy
September 21, 2006
618 posts
One of the best engineers I know didn't get into Tech at first. He went to a community college for a year or two and then got in. He's now designing guidance systems for nuclear bombs.
Murphy
September 21, 2006
618 posts
Quote:

IN SUMMER.

It got down to 29 in Burkes Garden!
Snowmakers
September 21, 2006
222 posts
Quote:

Quote:

IN SUMMER.

It got down to 29 in Burkes Garden!

If I lived there, I would have made snow.

fishnski
September 23, 2006
3,530 posts
Well, weather is hard to impossible to figure out! After we get this very early cold snap(11 inches at Vail,snow at Mt. Washington in August,Below normal summer at Barrow,AK, a trace of snow at the highest WV elevations) I read a report that this summer was the 2nd hottest on record for the lower 48 & 3rd hottest worldwide. The summer of 1930 was the only summer hotter..the begining of the dustbowl. I spent 2 hours this morn trying to see a pattern over the years & nothing really stands out. It seems that there are many years of colder winters after warmer summers...at least a little more stormier. There is a guy named Jim hughes who F-casts for one of the almanacs that predicted the low hurricane activity this year...he also predicts a cold winter like 76/77. He uses some sort of space study(can anybody elaborate?)I feel that the record year for hurricanes last year was mother natures way of cooling us down. As far as global warming goes, even though we have had some very warm years recently,we can look back to the winter of 1887/88 to see probably the warmest on record....so in conclussion...GO FIGURE!....ps..Rogerz..I'm a Dufus LIGHT..you Mudda!
rmcva
September 23, 2006
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
How cold or snowy was the 76/77 winter?
Roger Z
September 23, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Don't know, rmcva, all I know is that when you see the record lows on weather.com, a disproportionate number of them are from that winter. There's some photos of snow drifts two stories high in NC that winter. From the ancillary evidence, my guess is that it was way below normal for months on end.

I'll reiterate my prediction that this will be the coldest winter in 100 years, and if I live to be 100 I will have been right once in my life!

Oh, my brother reported from the Air Force Academy that it snowed last night in Colorado Springs. Happy first day of fall, Colorado!
langleyskier
September 23, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Quote:

a trace of snow at the highest WV elevations

Was there actually snow in WV over the past cold snap??

Also, look for another good cold snap near the end of sept and beginning of october. This one looks like it will be much colder and probably bring the first frost for the DC metro area and first snow for the far NE.
Snowmakers
September 23, 2006
222 posts
Im not sure if you guys can see this, but...

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?showtopic=107093

Pro Met speaking of a noreaster, POSSIBLY bringing snow to VT, ME, Catskills, and NH

See if you can read this-

The purple line in WV is the 0c line- all the way down to my area.

Update:

Another model run brincs 0c through DC, all the way to VA southern Piedmont.

tgd
September 23, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Quote:

Was there actually snow in WV over the past cold snap??

Check out Dave Lashers Canaan Valley weather station home page - click

Here's his observation note from Thursday...
"Sep 20 - Overcast, breezy, and unusually cold with a few sprinkles mid morning and again mid afternoon. Although carefully on the watch for snowflakes, none were seen here. However, snowflakes were observed at Snowshoe, WV, about 55 miles SSW of here and 1150 feet higher in elevation than this station."
fishnski
September 24, 2006
3,530 posts
Without looking at stats & just from memory...I remember the bay was frozen all the way across! I remember sledding in beltsville md almost all winter in very cold conditions. There was not a lot of snow in the dc area but what fell stayed. The Mountains trapped all the moisture & I think they got over 200"'s in WV!...It probably felt like you were skiing in NH it was so cold!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?