First snowfall of the season expected Saturday...
16 posts
9 users
4k+ views
Chad
September 15, 2006
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SALT LAKE CITY UT
1036 AM MDT FRI SEP 15 2006

...FIRST SNOWFALL OF THE SEASON EXPECTED SATURDAY FOR THE
MOUNTAINS OF NORTHERN UTAH..

A UNSEASONABLY COLD AIRMASS WILL PUSH OVER THE AREA BEHIND A COLD
FRONT ENTERING THE STATE LATER TODAY. ABUNDANT MOISTURE ALONG THE
COLD FRONT AND WITH THE COLD FRONTS ASSOCIATED STORM SYSTEM WILL
CAUSE PERIODS OF SNOW TO DEVELOP TONIGHT OVER THE WASATCH AND
UINTA MOUNTAINS. TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS WILL GENERALLY
RANGE FROM 2 TO 6 INCHES TONIGHT...WITH ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS
POSSIBLE SATURDAY DUE TO THE POSSIBILITY OF LAKE EFFECT SHOWERS
DEVELOPING.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/warnings.php?wfo...SNOW%20ADVISORY
Crush
September 16, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
It was freezing today in the house ... so I look outside and I see this!!!!
JohnL
September 16, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

It was freezing today in the house ... so I look outside and I see this!!!!

It lives!!!!!!!!!!!!1
BushwackerinPA
September 16, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
kennedy
September 18, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
That is a beautiful sight. Welcome back dude, good to hear from you.
kwillg6
September 18, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I knew it would be back! Thanks for the renewal, Crush.
snowcone
September 18, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
It's beautiful Crush, really bee-oo-ti-ful ... a good reminder thats its really time to get in shape for the season.

See ya in a couple of months!
fb
September 19, 2006
Member since 03/16/2006 🔗
68 posts
That pic just gives me the willies!!!!
Crush
September 19, 2006
1,271 posts
Quote:

That pic just gives me the willies!!!!

... funny you should say that, my willie took that pic (pah-dum-pah .... groan).

Hey ya well my mine has been off skiing but after that snow event, it got me back in the spirit f-a-s-t!

So as usual I started lookin' at NOAA and historical snow stuff here in UT and whatnot and blah blah blah and here is my official un-expert prognostication for UT skiing for 06-07:

This year is somewhat similar to 2003-2004, which had early snowfalls in copious amounts. Also, in 2003 the first snowfall like the one in the pic came Sept 19th (I have a pic), and believe it or not the date of the first significant snowfall is a fair indicator of things here (last year it was almost at the end of Sept, and things were almost exactly two weeks delayed in terms of snow events). This, coupled with a summer of the near-record warmth across the West similar to the 1936 dustbowl year (it was a record winter for 1936-1937 for snowfall in SLC) makes me think that:

We will have significant snowfall by Nov 1, with Brighton opening maybe the first weekend of Nov (Nov 3.), and other places skiable if you care to hike/skin. We will have very good snowfall due to a weak to moderate El Niño, which is good for powder skiing.

But then again, what do I know?
Chad
September 19, 2006
274 posts
looks like a good prediction, crush. snow is now in the utah forecast for wed, thur, and fri:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/warnings.php?wfo...ATHER%20OUTLOOK
BushwackerinPA
September 19, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
all this snow isnt really a good thing, if it sticks around its going to be an epic year......for avalanches.
jimboc
September 19, 2006
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
what????????
BushwackerinPA
September 20, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
going but what little I know from reading up on avalanches before my full seasons in Utah. If this snow sticks around with the sun beating on it, nad large temp swings because its still sept. come mid novemeber when it really starts snowing there its never going to bond correctly to the old layers. Crush or someone with more experince should be able to confirm this.
Chad
September 20, 2006
274 posts
Quote:

looks like a good prediction, crush. snow is now in the utah forecast for wed, thur, and fri:

here comes the snow:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/mosaic/WasatchMountains.php
kennedy
September 20, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
This year the board is staing stored until the first day I go riding. Last year I pulled it out of hibernation way too early and look what happened. Not this time, no sir.
Crush
September 20, 2006
1,271 posts
Quote:

all this snow isnt really a good thing, if it sticks around its going to be an epic year......for avalanches.

... yes quite correct, in general. An early snowpack has several problems, like Temperature Gradient Metamorphosis, or TG Met. A warm earth not cooled by winter temps can change snow deposited on it from a strong layer to a weak one with the snow becoming little pyramids and cups underneath a stronger slab ... and the more snow that builds the more dangerous it will become until it goes. Also, cycles of cold, the warm melting temps, then cold again (with snow) can form many layers of alternating snow strength, especially East to South East facing slopes of 30 degrees or more.

But you have to take the good with the bad ... the best season I had was 2004-2005 when in Jan. Dutch's Draw slid here just outside The Canyons' gate ...

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?