Winterplace
3 posts
2 users
1k+ views
WP_Employee
April 13, 2000
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
83 posts
I was wondering... no one ever seems to comment of the S WVA resort New Winterplace? What are the opinions floating around about this resort?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 14, 2000
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I've never skied Winterplace, but I've driven nearby heading west on I64. The mountains look impressive down there, I believe 4000'+, but since it's further south I'm not sure they get quite as good snow conditions as Snowshoe and Canaan. Winterplace has only 600' vertical and is 325 miles from DC. DC skiers have to pass a lot of more significant ski areas to get there, no wonder you don't hear too many of them talking about it. I'm just guessing, but I suspect Winterplace gets most of its customers from non-DC areas like Charlottesville, Roanoke, the college cities of North Carolina and maybe places in Ohio like Cincinnati. I'd be curious to hear from someone who has actually been there. It's a relatively new area, about 10-15 years old so it probably has a nice base complex?? They appear to have quite a lift capacity, something like 7 chairs, so it must get busy there.
WP_Employee
April 14, 2000
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
83 posts
Well Winterplace sits at 3600' and has 9 lifts -- 27 trails. It has been there since 1959 I believe (changing ownership/ missing bankrupcy on numerous occasions).

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?