Bad Ski Center Tunes?
14 posts
7 users
3k+ views
Lietmotiv
December 8, 2003
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
Hey, I would seriously recommend you tune the skii's yourself. I have atomics and have never had them tuned by a shop. the 3 degree side edge always gets hosed by the shops. I am sure there are shops that does good jobs and the Ski Chalet in Tysons always did good tunes for my volants in the past but I grew wearly of paying someone else to do something I could do if I spent a few bucks on the right tools. There are a few threads on tuning on this site worth looking for.

Atomics are 1 degree base as well as 3 degree edge. Not sure if you already knew it but just in case.

DC_Skier
December 8, 2003
Member since 01/2/2003 🔗
56 posts
I have considered doing my own tunes, but I really don't want to ruin my skis. What kind of equipment would I need to get? What is the learning curve?

Can anyone recommend someone at a local shop?

JohnL
December 8, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
You don't like the music they play?

DC_Skier
December 8, 2003
Member since 01/2/2003 🔗
56 posts
Just slightly off-key.
Otto
December 8, 2003
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
Most shops won't bevel to that degree unless you specifically ask them to...
comprex
December 8, 2003
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

The bevel angles for Atomics are clearly marked on most of their topsheets. There is really no excuse for stuffing the angles up, especially since they are the dealer in the area.
DC_Skier
December 8, 2003
Member since 01/2/2003 🔗
56 posts
Otto,

That's just it, I tell them every time and am assured it will be done. Plus, it is Atomic's spec, so they ought to do it without my asking. It's really amazing how much difference it makes to the ski's performance.

Crush
December 8, 2003
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Dudez ... think Ski Chalete in Arlington. I once had them do just that ... 3 degrees sides, 1 degree base, with a pair of KS GS Race skis just before a race and they did it as I asked ... and did it hold on ice!!!! :-)
DC_Skier
December 9, 2003
Member since 01/2/2003 🔗
56 posts
While I really like Ski Center over all, and I have spent thousands there over the years, I think I am getting sub-par tunes out of their shop. For the second year in a row on my first day out on my freshly tuned skis I got no edge grip , no ability to carve etc. At first I thought it was operator error, but just to make sure the next time out, I took them to a shop in Ludlow, Vt and what a difference! The skis (Atomics) skiied like a dream.

Now I think I know what the problem is, a lot of the techies don't realize that the Atomic side bevel is 3deg. which makes a huge difference on firm snow. But every time I take them in I request it specially.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there any way to check the bevel? Does anyone have a good shop/tech that they use? Thanks.

(Anonymous)
December 10, 2003
I would like to chime in with my two cents, since I heard about this post third person, and then had to check it out myself. At Ski Center, my tuning staff, and I, know the factory bevel specs for just about every ski and board that exists. If a customer requests a specific bevel we honor that request, and if a customer has a bad tune we always work with them until they are satisfied. We always
tune Atomics to a 3 degree side edge, and a 1 degree base edge, and we use a ceramic disc to do that seperate from the base structure grind on the stone . It is a very precise process.I wish that whoever started this thread,and had any type of problem at our store, had at first given me a heads up or at
least had a conversation with me at the store, I would have worked to make the ski as perfect as possible,
and then to make you, the customer happy .I believe our staff, and store, always strives to do our best by our customers. Thanks, Kirk , service manager, at Ski Center.
DC_Skier
December 10, 2003
Member since 01/2/2003 🔗
56 posts
Kirk,

I have complained before and I try to head off potential problems by making a specific request. I have asked many of your techs the last few years whether they know what the spec side bevel is and they usually don't know.

When I specifically ask them to do the 3 deg. side bevel some of them argue with me and tell me I don't need it and that its supposed to be 1 deg. I think there is a problem with some of your guys.

This is the third tune I will have to get re-done.

comprex
December 10, 2003
1,326 posts

My 9'16s hold great, thanks kirk!

I have never had a problem with your work, even with some of the stranger requests like 2 and 5 degree bevels; your shop is the best part of that store in my book even if I sometimes wish turnaround was quicker.

Thanks again for taking the time with the race bindings too!

Previously clueless,
PJ

comprex
December 10, 2003
1,326 posts
Hey kirk, can your disc do a chute-skiing bevel, say 1/3 underfoot and 2/2 at the ends?
DC_Skier
December 10, 2003
Member since 01/2/2003 🔗
56 posts
Well, I was feeling bad about what might appear to be the wholesale condemnation of Ski Center's shop, and am glad that someone beat me to it, but I should say in fairness, that with all my (and my family's) previous non-Atomic skis I have always had really good tunes and good service.

Just not with these skis.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?