cell coverage at snowshoe
12 posts
5 users
3k+ views
fb
August 30, 2006
Member since 03/16/2006 🔗
68 posts
i may be switching carriers soon (company mandate)and wondering about verizon coverage at snowshoe?
i searched the older posts and didnt see much from verizon owners. ive had cingular and for years got good coverage in the village and select other 'spots'.
bawalker
August 30, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Whether this helps... I can get a Verizon signal over in Petersburg. I'm not sure if that is shooting in off the mountain tops from the VA side or what. Amazingly enough Verizon has a stronger signal there than Cingular in spots.
Snowmakers
August 30, 2006
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Verizon picks up inside Cheat Mtn Pizza, The 4848' parking lor, and occasionally the Main lodge at SC.
fb
August 31, 2006
68 posts
snowmaker,
how bout signal in s'bux?
that would be ideal for hitting the hispeed and getting cell coverage to be 'working' in my virtual office. this new opportunity allows 3 days in office and 2 in field. so my imagination is running and im drooling like pavlov's dog....wed. pm head to the shoe- th, fri are 'office days', the usual wknd play days, then mon, tue 'office days' and tue pm back to reality for customer contact 2 days followed by.....(repeat step 1). huge ROI- six days round trip vs. the normal 2 and fighting the wknd herd.

unfortunately my place at wabasso is just over the lip of the mtn. for cell coverage (most times i get it 20 feet outside unit near the pedestrian path. with cingular, i have no signal inside unit but phone beeps to signal missed call. grab phone, brew, dog, and return call from boss/customer- no problem. need to borrow friends verizon phone to test. if this pans out, ill probably grab the frontier ca. modem for $50/mo and use a calling card to be able to work out of unit. any other ideas appreciated- maybe bawalker can come up with something?
bawalker
August 31, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Try looking into a car audio store for an 'amp' or 'signal amp' for the phone. I saw a customer of mine had a Cingular Razr phone that normally doesn't get access here in Wardensville, except the rare lonely 1 bar. However with this antenna/amp unit plugged into the phone, he was able to get 4 bars AND make calls. You'd have to check into a car audio store for these and find one for your model phone. I'm willing to bet that if you can get a callable signal that far outside your unit, something like this should give you 3-5 bars inside easily.

As for Frontier DSL... watch out, it's good when it works, but Frontier is picky by not installing it for anyone over 16,000' from the CO. I'm at 19,000' from the CO unit in Wardensville and I'm suffering with massive disconnects and worse.
fb
August 31, 2006
68 posts
yes, i was just thinking of that. my parents have a lake house in nc with spotty coverage similar to that at the shoe. ive seen ads advertising something to increase signal strength inside the house, will look into.
bawalker
August 31, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Make sure you don't get the cheap $2 things that slip in the back of your battery pack. Instead these are true amplifiers that plug into a wall outlet or the car cig lighter. From there they have a mountable antenna and then plug directly into the cell phone. They run $30-$50, but from what I've heard, are well worth it.
Snowmakers
August 31, 2006
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Occasionally, and ittends to vary with weather, and phone. Ive picked up service in there before.
rmcva
August 31, 2006
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
bawalker - do you have any brand names, model numbers, stores, etc. for the amps? I'm very interested. Thanks.
bawalker
August 31, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Not right off the top of my head. I need to get one for a SamSung phone I use at "Winchester Discount Audio" in Winchester, VA. I've been referred to them as sellers. I should know something within the week.
fishnski
August 31, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I didn't know there was such a thing Mr Bawalker...Thanks for the tip! There are many times that I am out in the middle of a corn field with a bad address trying to find a cust with just a few bars shy of making contact with my base...That xtra boost sure would make life easier!
fb
August 31, 2006
68 posts
found a few things..
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/mobil...ors-137281.php.

option 4 for $50is looks like a winner and i may give it a shot.
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001031.php

also found this but not looking to drop that much coin unless i have to..(they make this in a cell and a pcs version);
http://www.smarthome.com/9625C.HTML

what u dont want is this from 'idiot tv land';
http://www.cellphonemall.net/Antenna_booster.htm

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?