Whitetail Season
18 posts
12 users
5k+ views
TomH
August 24, 2006
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Doing some pass calculations. Does anyone remember when Whitetail opened last year and when it closed? Or, even better, how many weekends they were open last year?
POWPOW
August 24, 2006
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
See there you go again another misleading subject line.

therusty
August 24, 2006
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
I believe that it was close to Dec. 10 - March 12. The earliest Whitetail has ever opened is Nov 30. The latest opening was 12/26. The earliest close date was March 1. The latest we ever closed is end of March. We're usually open a minimum of 10 weeks. Last year was 13.

I have a spreadsheet to help calculate costs and savings on my web site. It's got the 2006 prices in it. There are a few little bugs in it, but the basic stuff works ok. It's not official, but it is informative and fun to play with.

Basically, unless you have a large family. It takes 4 trips to pay off an advantage card and 6 to make it worth while. A season pass takes 11 trips to pay off (vs full price tickets) and is more convenient than an Advantage card, but costs more until you get to about 20 trips (i.e. twice a week for most of the season).

Did you know that this year the Advantage card will also get you discounted skiing at Stratton, discounted Liberty hotel rooms and discounted Nastar racing in addition to discounted lessons? The Season Pass Liberty Plus option ($44 extra) is now also available to Advantage Card holders (free daily bag storage, unlimited quick tunes and onsite ski storage).

If you buy your pass at an "event" where Snow Time has a booth (e.g. ski swaps, festivals, etc.) you can get $5 off your Advantage card or $25 off a season pass.
Scott - DCSki Editor
August 24, 2006
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Whitetail opened last season on Friday, December 9, 2005. And it was great opening day conditions:

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=854

I can't find the exact closing date, but I think therusty is right that it was around March 12.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
SteveC
August 25, 2006
Member since 10/24/2005 🔗
145 posts
Yo Rusty! That be a righteous spreadsheet! You've got some sik skilz!

If this season is just like last season, the family and I will save over $500. Since we're expecting to do alot more this year, the savings should be even greater!

Oh, I know the reasoning I need to use.."hun, we gotta go skiing this weekend, we gotta maximize our savings. that's right, we're saving money by going more!!"
therusty
August 25, 2006
422 posts
Thanks Steve. If you thought that was good, version 2006 1.1 of the calculator has support for Night Club cards and multi day tickets too. Support for miscellaneous discounts is 1/2 done (did you know that a season pass gets you discounts at Jay Peak?). I'm still getting 2006 prices for stuff and have some pricing questions in to the pricing gurus. I also have not given the beastie the final quality check (weird stuff has been breaking due to an Excel upgrade). But for those of you who are itching to crunch numbers - have at it!
wojo
August 26, 2006
333 posts
Quote:

(did you know that a season pass gets you discounts at Jay Peak?).

did not see Jay Peak, saw this though:
NEW for 06/07 - Special deals at Stratton Mountain in Vermont!

Advantage Cardholders:

50% off lift tickets for Advantage Card Holders at Stratton Resort anytime Whitetail, Roundtop and LIbertyl Resorts are closed.
* A minimum of 1 night lodging is required at a Stratton Resort property.
* Pass holder will receive a 10% lodging discount.
* Pass holder must present Advantage Card at time of check-in and when picking up
daily lift tickets.
* The above offer is not available during the week of the US Open.
Advantage Card holders will receive the benefits of the Stratton X2 card in the peak season - anytime Whitetail Resort, Ski Roundtop and LIberty Mountain resorts are open.
* 50% off midweek, 25% off Sundays and 10% off Saturdays and Holiday Periods.
A 10% lodging discount during current/peak season.
* Discount not available Dec. 23 - Jan 1, Jan 13-15 and Feb.17-19, 2007.
* Based on availability.

It seems like you can use the pass for one day during peak season, but need to lodge there after whitetail is closed. . . interesting. you do get a better weekend discount after our whitetail season ends though.
finsoutoc
August 28, 2006
Member since 09/30/2003 🔗
172 posts
This will be the first time in 19 years that i won't be buying a pass.
therusty
August 28, 2006
422 posts
The Jay Peak deal is part of a little known program called "Mountains of Distinction". It's described on the Liberty web site . Season Pass holders get 4 Stratton tickets for personal use at any time during the season.
therusty
August 28, 2006
422 posts
finsoutoc,

That's so sad. I hope you will at least be skiing someplace this winter. Farmers Almanac just came out with cold and wet forecast for this winter, especially the Mid Atlantic.
finsoutoc
August 28, 2006
172 posts
I bought a pass at Mountain Creek. There are about 10-15 of us ex-roundtop locals who moved on to Creek so driving should be easier.
tromano
August 28, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Quote:

The Jay Peak deal is part of a little known program called "Mountains of Distinction". It's described on the Liberty web site . Season Pass holders get 4 Stratton tickets for personal use at any time during the season.

This also applies for 7S pass holders too, at least it did last year. I haven't gotten all my documentation yet.
john84
August 28, 2006
Member since 11/7/2005 🔗
27 posts
Quote:

finsoutoc,

That's so sad. I hope you will at least be skiing someplace this winter. Farmers Almanac just came out with cold and wet forecast for this winter, especially the Mid Atlantic.

They were right on with their predictions for last winter.
finsoutoc
August 28, 2006
172 posts
after years of saying 'next year' i've come to the conclusion that the killer mid-atlantic winter just isnt all that great for riding. dicey weather coupled with very poor customer service by RT last season, makes it very tough to justify the close to 600 dollars for a pass. i paid 210 for my Mt Creek pass in April.
jimmy
August 28, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

See there you go again another misleading subject line.

Hey POWPOW where u bin? That's another version of the early bird not getting the worm??? So when does white tail season start? Seems to me gun season in WV around Thanksgiving, Bow towards the end of Oct and Car should be starting any day now. WV Ski season ends in April. Rut else do you need to know?
fishnski
August 28, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Man Jimmy...Your friggin Humor....Is in a RUT!
Roger Z
August 28, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Oh, Jimmy, no one ever got arrested for catching some "sidehill salmon." Back in the Appalachians, this delicacy might also be known as "white tail trout"?

Hey Brad, I've got some dating advice for you. When you go out with a really beautiful woman, make sure you start discussing ticks, lime disease, and chiggers in no particular order, particularly if she's just spent the weekend on a family farm. Said woman will start involuntarily scratching her skin and squirming. When you show her what a chigger looks like after it's nested under your skin, watch her bolt for the door. It's really quite amusing!
tromano
August 28, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Quote:

Hey POWPOW where u bin? That's another version of the early bird not getting the worm??? So when does white tail season start? Seems to me gun season in WV around Thanksgiving, Bow towards the end of Oct and Car should be starting any day now. WV Ski season ends in April. Rut else do you need to know?

End of October, that can't be rihgt. They keep talking about the summer driving season on the weather channel.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.