Rain this week??
14 posts
7 users
2k+ views
Kahuna613
December 7, 2003
Member since 11/20/2003 🔗
56 posts
Anyone have any comments on the PROJECTED RAIN for wednesday and thursday?
danwxman
December 8, 2003
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
58 posts
Could be a soaker w/freezing rain at the beginning! It should change to snow at the end west of the Allegheny front though.
gatkinso
December 8, 2003
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
Oh I have some comments, but I have no doubt that they would be moderated in a heartbeat!

chuckie
December 8, 2003
Member since 12/29/1999 🔗
77 posts
Any idea what the weekend will be like?

Here's to hoping none of the local resorts close up during the mid-week thaw.

(Anonymous)
December 10, 2003
I predict any moisture leftover to change to snow at 1030pm the 10th with 1" by late morn & 1 to 3" by late thur nite
danwxman
December 10, 2003
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
58 posts
It won't change over until the early morning hours....First in the WV mountains then not until daybreak in the Laurels. Upslope and lake effect will keep the snow going all through the day...Accumulations will probably be 2-4" in the Laurels with 3-6" in WV.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 11, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Davis Forecast for today, 10 Dec. Boo

Flood watch from noon est Wednesday until noon est Thursday.
This afternoon. Mostly cloudy. Rain showers developing. Also a chance of thunderstorms. Rain may become heavy at times late afternoon. Windy. Highs 45 to 50. Southeast winds 15 to 30 mph and gusty.

Tonight. Rain showers until midnight with a chance of thunderstorms. Then rain showers likely. Rain may be heavy at times. Breezy. Lows in the mid 30s. Southeast winds 15 to 25 mph and gusty becoming southwest. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

(Anonymous)
December 11, 2003
We got pretty heavy rain last night in Canaan Valley. I'm not sure what time it changed over to snow but it was snowing steadily at 4:45 this morning. We had about 1/2 inch to an inch at the house. The temp fell about 2-3 degrees by 5:30. It was 29 when I left for work. I have no idea how much damage the rain did to Timberline's snowmaking job. They were out running the groomers this morning but the snow guns had not been restarted. Hopefully they will be able to patch things up if there were problems and proceed with opening today.
December 11, 2003
1,986 posts
Any word if Timberline opened? This was supposed to be opening day?
(Anonymous)
December 11, 2003
I just called their 800 number and they said they will be open today from 8:30 till 4:30.
canaanman
December 11, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
First, kudos to the Timberline webpage staff for keeping us updated.

Second, you guys need to check the snow report more often.

From what I've derived out of that, Timberline did open today with only White Lightning from the top (oh great, let's hope beginners are at home decorating this weekend). They also opened White Out and the connecting trails from mid-station to the base of the triple. Both lifts appear to be running, as well is the bunny slope.

Right now T-line is MAKING snow (yes, its been updated since this morning) on: Salamander (possible weekend opening?), Upper Dew Drop (wow, that's early, they don't usually start on Dew Drop until X-mas), and a few other beginner trails.

The base depth is a range of 24-40 inches, which is very good... and you know thats accurate, because they've been building it. And the weather couldn't be better. That rain settled in the loose snow, making a nice, firm base, then the dusting they will receive today, tonight, and saturday night through monday.

Tonight's squall calls for 1-3 inches, with more on the ridges.. and a possible extra inch tomorrow. Should make for great conditions. Looks like by Wednesday we'll be seeing even MORE snow, and this one's gonna stick around for awhile.

I'll be up there tomorrow, bright and early, smiling for the Season Pass photo.

December 11, 2003
1,986 posts
A friend called me from Davis at 4:00 and said there's already 4 inches on the ground, and more to come tonight! With a little luck, Timberline could have 3 top to bottom trails open by the weekend.

I pick up my season pass on Saturday!

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 12-11-2003).]

(Anonymous)
December 11, 2003
Well i predicted 2 to 4". As of johns last post if it is still snowing i am a happy loser!!I hope m-nature makes danwxman's 3 to 6 f-cast a loser too!
December 11, 2003
1,986 posts
We are in for quite a confusing weather pattern this weekend. Check out Herb Steven's latest missive as of TODAY:

http://www.skiingweatherman.com/weather.php

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.