Fischer RX8 FTi Plates
5 posts
2 users
4k+ views
comprex
August 10, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
This is in reference to the generic plate on the 04/05 black/red model RX8. The one I have is fairly drilled out and doesn't really seem to be doing much more than lift anyway.

Has anyone removed these from the ski and put on something else? If so, how did you start the removal?

Particularly curious to hear from the tele folk.
comprex
August 28, 2006
1,326 posts

The factory plate had two rubbery blocks with hard plastic shell covers, one over each rubber block. There is a third hard plastic shell cover spanning the distance between the outer ones. It rests on longitudinally scalloped ramps formed in the rubber blocks.

The rubber blocks ride on two Marker toepiece-style shoulder-screws each.

When I 'pinged' the shovel, there was a visible ringing, and a transverse vibration antinode at the www of www.fischerskis.com i.e., just where the toepiece of a telebinding might go. The marked midpoint is a node.
skier219
September 28, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

The factory plate had two rubbery blocks with hard plastic shell covers, one over each rubber block. There is a third hard plastic shell cover spanning the distance between the outer ones. It rests on longitudinally scalloped ramps formed in the rubber blocks.

The rubber blocks ride on two Marker toepiece-style shoulder-screws each.

When I 'pinged' the shovel, there was a visible ringing, and a transverse vibration antinode at the www of www.fischerskis.com i.e., just where the toepiece of a telebinding might go. The marked midpoint is a node.

Those sound older than 04/05. I have 04/05 RX8 that are orange/black. The year before they were green black. The red/black model was 02/03 if I recall correctly. In addition, those were the ones with the older RailFlex bindings -- I haven't actually seen them, but what you described is definitely different than the RailFlex II on the 03+ models. So it sounds like you might have RailFlex I bindings on 02/03 skis....
comprex
October 2, 2006
1,326 posts
I associate those colors with the RX9.

Anyhow, possibly older yes, but not Railflex - this is the stock "any binding"* lifter that Fischer put on. It was just kinda funny that the ski would so obviously "ring" given a pulse excitation as soon as the damper blocks were removed. I tried both Railflex 1 and 2 plates as well as a VIST one and none of them are large enough to span the ringing nodes as the stock lifter does.

* 25mm lift isn't 'flat' in my book
skier219
October 15, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

I associate those colors with the RX9.

The RX-8 had a green/black year before the RX-9 came out. But now, you are correct about the color schemes.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?