No news gives me the blues
8 posts
5 users
1k+ views
hockeydave
August 3, 2006
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Well, it's the beginning of August and still there is no news regarding whether or not Laurel Mountain will reopen for skiing. I wish Somerset Trust and/or the DCNR would sh!t or get off the pot. Either reopen the darn place or just sell off the chairlifts and snow guns (HKDs) so there will be nothing left to tease those of us who love to ski there.

As soon as 7S backed out of reopening LM last November, ST & the DCNR should have looking for a qualified operator instead of waiting to negotiate again with 7S in the Spring. The DCNR shouldn't charge one cent for leasing the land the ski area rests upon because of the employment and tourism $$$$ LM brings to the surrounding area. The longer LM sits idle, there is little likelihood ST will recoup any significant percentage of the original George Mowl loan (several million $$$).
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
August 17, 2006
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
I've been meaning to respond to this and a rumor at EpicSki concerning Laurel prompted me to post there so I'll repeat my thoughts here.

A few rumors are flying about with regards to the Dupree's interest in Laurel. I hope there is some truth to the rumors. Somerset Trust has maintained since last season that they were confident that Laurel will open this season. There must be some reason for their optimism. It's now mid August and no word is forthcoming. Improvement in snowmaking and terrain must be made for Laurel to draw consistent crowds. That possibility diminishes with the waning daylight hours but construction could go well into November given the recent mild winters.

Personally I'd like to see the State assume control and operation of the ski area and keep it natural and affordable. With State control the pressure to turn a profit for personal gain is now transformed into profit for improved expansion of terrain and services. Wouldn't it be great to have an affordably priced ski area geared toward skiing families with a good mix of terrain including real expert trails, devoid of trailside condos and the rest of the resort circus that usually accompanies real-estate development? State control could provide such a ski area.

Is there any interest in making this idea a reality?
hockeydave
August 18, 2006
780 posts
My wife and I own a home in Laurel Mountain Village and have had several people stop by asking about lots being for sale. These "stop-bys" have only happened after the announcement of the transfer of assets from George Mowl to Somerset Trust (Ligonier Laurel Transfer). A coincidence ? I don't know, but I do know that it is in Somerset Trust's best interest to open LM (at least this year) so they have a marketing tool in selling off the remaining lots. Of course, that requires an upgrade to water & sewage which supposedly is a done deal. What happens over the next couple of months may well determine the future of LM as a ski area. Hopefully, there will be a positive outcome for all of us who want to see LM opened, profitable and maybe someday soon, enhanced.
hockeydave
September 1, 2006
780 posts
Will someone please get their story straight !!!

The Johnstown Tribune Democrat reports that talks with 7S are still ongoing to reopen LM this winter...

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/local/local_story_243233858.html

Channel 4's website (ABC) in Pittsburgh reports that 7S will not operate LM this winter...

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/9771049/detail.html

I spoke within the past couple of days with a high level manager @ 7S and he says they definitely will NOT operate LM this winter....

And this bit of conflicting info from the Pittsburgh Tribune Review stating that LM will not be opened at all; either by 7S or anyone else...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/news/westmoreland/s_468710.html

jimmy
September 1, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
All this news and still no news, quote from the Johnstown Trib-

"We are still talking to the same parties, a number of parties," said Tyson Cook of Somerset Trust. "We want to put it into the right hands," he said. This sounds familiar now doesn't it?

It seems clear that Seven Springs isn't interested but that doesn't mean HKD or family would not be? Drop dead date for opening sometime in October, stay tuned.
LMV
September 1, 2006
Member since 06/1/2005 🔗
60 posts
It could be even later, in 1999 when they reopened on November 1st the lodge wasn't started and the towers for the quad chair were in the parking lot.
jb714
September 1, 2006
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
To see three different viewpoints expressed in three different media outlets is perplexing enough - but to see those three viewpoints published on almost the very same day is just bizarre.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
September 1, 2006
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
I would think that the Johnstown newspaper is more accurate. Both other accounts sources are unnamed but quotes are attributed in the Tribune-Democrat. I know that Tyson Cook is the Somerset Trust point man for the Laurel lease. Lee Murdy left Somerset Trust this summer. Also 7S's Robert Duppstadt is also quoted.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.