10 posts
7 users
3k+ views
GregKlein
July 15, 2006
Member since 07/26/2005 🔗
10 posts
Willi's Snow Swap
This is the granddaddy of swaps. Willi's swap benefits the Ski Club, Ski Patrol or Ski School of your choice. When you drop off your equipment you will be asked which group you would like to have your donation go to. If you don't chose a charity the donation will go to the Special Olympics.

If you choose to purchase something from Willi's at the giant preseason sale you will receive 100% of the money that your item was sold for. Willi's will then make a donation to the charity for the extra 20%.

Example 1: Ski sold at $100 $80 goes to you. $20 goes to your charity.
Example 2: Ski sold at $100 $100 purchase at Willi's goes to you. $20 is still donated to your charity from Willi's.

Drop off
Friday Aug 11th thru Tuesday Aug 16th at the Willi's in Fairfax

Willi's Chantilly SWAP and SALE
Dulles Expo & Conference Center
4368 Chantilly Shopping Center
Chantilly, VA 20153
Friday Aug 18th 12:00 am noon - 10:00 pm Saturday Aug 19th 10:00 am - 8:00 pm

Pickup
Tuesday Aug 23rd thru Saturday Aug 26th at the Willi's in Fairfax

Willi's Ski, Snowboards and Tennis
11236 James Swart Cir
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone: 703 385 7669

You will receive a check in the mail for any sold items less a 20% donation to the charity. Please allow 30 to 45 days to receive your check.

Items not picked up by Saturday Aug 26th will be considered donated to the charity

Boots and bindings over 10 years old cannot be sold. Binding must be indemnified.

Ski Patrols, Ski Clubs and Ski Schools are encouraged to pre-register with Luke @ 703-385-7669
comprex
July 15, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Most excellent arrangement. (for us skiers)

This solves several problems I've had with the Dulles Expo swaps of previous years:

- No longer an entry fee to submit a ski and another to collect unsold.
- Most of the gear is there for a one time visit; early shoppers are no longer subject to late submittals.
- Less schlepping out to Dulles Expo all around.

I guess it also means Willis has transport duties of skis to the swap. Ooof (for you guys).

Questions:
- Do you have a suggested packing method for skis to be dropped off, if someone wishes to avoid miscellaneous scratches and stuff?
- Will there be further details on expo events (e.g. movie screenings) and where?
JohnL
July 15, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
Greg,

What sports items do you guys stock in the summer months? Tennis? Roller blades? Golf?
comprex
August 2, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
bump for getting close
GregKlein
August 6, 2006
10 posts
Sorry for the delay in my response.
1. Willi's will take care or the equipment and you don't need to do anything. You can tape up the skis if you wish but the customers usually want to look at the bases before they buy, so the tape comes off pretty quickly at the swap.
2. We set up the pick up and drop off for longer periods because most people can't be there at the 4 hrs before and the 4 hrs after. It has been the biggest complaint about every Swap that I have been involved in. Let me know if you have any other idea's or suggestions.
3. There is NO entry fee. If you stuff sells you win. If it doesn't then you have lost nothing.
4. We currently only sell tennis in the summer.
5. The Season Tuning Pass is on Sale for $55 at the Sale and Swap at the Dulles Expo Center on April 18th and 19th

Greg Klein
Willi's Ski, Snowboard and Tennis
(703)385-7669
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
August 6, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
What is the ski tuning pass? And I assume you mean it is on sale at the swap in August vs April as indicated?
Thank you,
The Colonel
Scott - DCSki Editor
August 7, 2006
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,251 posts
Quote:

What is the ski tuning pass? And I assume you mean it is on sale at the swap in August vs April as indicated?
Thank you,
The Colonel

Here is some information on the ski tuning pass from Willi's web site:

Quote:

UNLIMITED SEASON TUNING PASS This could be THE bargain of the 2006/07 season!. A Season Tuning Pass provides unlimited stone-grinding, edging, and waxing on a single pair of skis or a snowboard. If purchased at Willi's Chantilly Pre-Season Ski & Board Sale on August 18 or 19 at the Dulles Expo Center, the cost is ONLY $55. AND, if you have more than one snowboard or pairs of skis, or if there are other skiers and snowboarders in your family, Season Tuning Passes for additional skis and boards can be purchased for only $35 during the sale. Additional charges will apply for base repair, and the pass is valid through April 30, 2007.

These tuning specials are available ONLY at Willi's Chantilly Pre-Season Ski & Board Sale on August 18-19 at the Dulles Expo Center. They will not be available in Willi's regular stores and will not be available on any other dates. The offers are available only "in-person" and are not available by phone or online.

kennedy
August 7, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Willi's tuning is great. I had my board done before the start of the season and before hitting Utah and I had my wife's skis done. I have to say the quality was great. My wifes skis are pretty banged up, they're ex rentals, and when they were done the bases and edges looked like new. She's not a big skier but she raved about how much better they felt.
teleman
August 7, 2006
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts
I have a different experience with Willi's tuning. Based on my experience last winter they lost my business. It was the worst tune I have received anywhere in my 20+ years of skiing. The bases had to be fixed by another shop.
GregKlein
August 7, 2006
10 posts
I am sorry that you had a bad experience with our shop. I do have a lot of pride in our mechanics and the equipment that we use. I am as confident in our staff in Fairfax as I am with any other store that we have . We do however make mistakes, and for that, I would like to fix any issue that you have had with our shop. Please contact me so I can find your work tag and find what was done to your equipment and which mechanic did the work. Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention.

Greg Klein
Owner
Willi's Ski, Snowboard and Tennis
703 385 7669

If I am not in Fairfax please ask for Luke and he will find me.

Oops.... April was a typo the Sale/Swap is on:
August 18th noon to 10 pm
August 19th 10 am to 8 pm
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.