Camp and Hike Laurel Mountain Ski Area
9 posts
2 users
4k+ views
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
July 5, 2006
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,041 posts
From Friday August 18 to 20 the Keystone Trail Association (KTA) and the Pennsylvania Parks and Forest Foundation (PPFF) will be sponsoring organized hikes in the Forbes State Forest and Linn Run State Park complex located in Western Pennsylvania surrounding Laurel Mountain Ski Area. Somerset Trust, the lessee of the ski area, and the DCNR State Park division will allow camping at the ski area for the event and the Laurel Lodge will be open for bathroom facilities (no showers and no potable water) as well as programs and entertainment. Bottled water will be sold for a generous price, proceeds to benefit the Friend of Linn Run and Forbes State Forest (Outdoor Commission), a charter member of the PPFF. The bathhouse at nearby Linn Run State Park will be available.

If you've ever been interested in Laurel Mountain but never took the chance to ski there, this would be a great opportunity to hike the ski area as well as participate in other organized and guided hikes throughout the State Forest. Organized hikes for all ability levels will be offered.

There is a $10.00 registration fee and a $10.00 camping fee payable to the Keystone Trail Association. Breakfasts and bagged lunches are available for both days and a catered cookout will be held at the ski area, at an additional cost for each.

Registration deadline is August 1. As of this writing, information and registration forms aren't available online. You can link through the KTA link or write for more information at:

Keystone Tail Association
PO Box 129
Confluence, PA
hockeydave
July 17, 2006
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Wondering if Somerset Trust might make some kind of announcement regarding the ski area during this weekend ?
July 18, 2006
2,041 posts
Their silence has been deafening. I doubt that there is anything to announce but, curiously, 7S is still maintaining the lifts at LM. The lifts must be run periodically to prevent flat spots on the cable.
hockeydave
July 18, 2006
780 posts
Based on talking to several different people who are somewhat connected, I am very hopeful that good things will happen @ LM this Winter!!!
July 18, 2006
2,041 posts
I fear that even if there is an interested private developer time maybe running out to make the basic improvements needed to give Laurel a good chance to survive. We all know that Laurel needs to cover more of it's terrain to generate repeat customers. The lesson learned from Mowl's valiant effort was, you can't count on mother nature.

Back to the orignal intent of this thread, the Absorb the Forbes hiking and camping event. The Keystone Trail Association has posted more detailed information and registration forms on their web site. Use this link to access that info.

I'll be there most of the weekend doing volunteer work for the Friends of Linn Run and Forbes State Forest but if anybody wants a guided hike of the ski terrain, I'll be happy to oblige.
hockeydave
August 21, 2006
780 posts
Is there any chance that this type of weekend will be repeated in early October when Laurel Mountain and Linn Run will glow with Autumn colors?
August 22, 2006
2,041 posts
Yes, join our Friends Group and make it happen. Did you stop by over the weekend? I missed you. Heather and LMV were there. When are you going to make it to a meeting? Latest rumor: DCNR is going to act soon, help make it happen.

I should give a trip report on my 12 mile hike with the sixties something (age, not era) ladies from Reading.
hockeydave
August 23, 2006
780 posts
My wife and I did stop by Saturday... actually talked to Heather & LMV, but I missed you (must have been hiking).

I am very busy currently, having just got married, changed jobs in April and renovating the recently purchased home in Laurel Mountain Village. But your friends group is such a great idea, and if I can't join this year due to the aforementioned time constraints, then definitely next. Please keep us posted on the status of the ski resort, even the rumors.

What do you think the DCNR is going to do?
August 23, 2006
2,041 posts
Quote:

What do you think the DCNR is going to do?

The right question is what do you want the DCNR to do with Laurel? You've said it here , tell it to the State Parks. E-mail DCNR at:

ra-askdcnr@state.pa.us <ra-askdcnr@state.pa.us>

Tell them why you think the PA. State Parks should operate Laurel Mountain.

Contact your local State Senator and Representative and ask them why the State is allowing a turn-key asset to sit idle.

Did you know that the DCNR owns the double chair and the snowmaking? Yep that includes the HKD towers.

I think that the DCNR is looking at their declining state budget and seeking revenue sources within its system and Laurel is sitting right there.

The DCNR is involved in fostering community and business co-operation in a project branded Pennsylvania Wild in the northern tier of the state and has invested millions there yet Linn Run Road is pot holed and patched despite the fact the funds for repaving were approved in DCNR capital budget the last couple of years. Where did the money go?

The easiest thing to do is comment at askDCNR in this link. Tell your skiing buddies who live here in PA to do the same. Ask the folks here at DCski and through-out the mid-Atlantic to contact the DCNR and tell them why you've skied Laurel and how you love to bring your family back. I'll link contacts here at DCski and other message boards.

I don't think anything will happen at Laurel unless we start to shake the trees.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.