Ah - the Fourth of July (Off Topic)
2 posts
2 users
1k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 29, 2006
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Is there a bigger holiday for kids? Christmas is the only contender and when I was a kid, I think I had more fun on the 4th. The reason was freedom. Beginning at age 10 or 11 my mother would let me out for the day at 7 AM with $0.25 or so and I could stay out until after the fireworks. Perhaps she enjoyed this day too. :-))) I grew up in Wakefield, a bit north of Boston but still neither suburb nor country at that time. There were still 3-4 working dairy farms. Wakefield had the best parade and best fireworks of any town north of Boston and crowds estimated at 100,000 came from everywhere to see our fireworks. At parade's end came the fire engines all with sirens going full blast. They had games and contests on the Common all day. The girls had a doll carraige parade where they decorated their doll carraiges with red white and blue crepe and dressed the dolls to look like Uncle Sam. Boys ran around with cap pistols (I had dual 6 shooters on a wide belt) having mock battles all day. My sister and I won the brother sister 3 legged race several years in a row. We were the only kids who practiced ahead of time. We also got to ride on a float in the parade one year. There were eating contests; hot dogs, corn on the cob, blueberry pie, ice cream, and watermelon. Foolish kids would look for the smallest pieces that the Lions Club guys put out so they'd have a better chance to win. Only one kid could win; I looked for a big one so I could eat. If you had friends with lenient parents who vacationed in exotic places like Maine, or south of NJ, you might even get your hands on a 2 inch salute or a cherry bomb. In Mass., that stuff was against the law, which of course added to the fun. I'd return home at 11 PM. Fantastic!!! I hope there are places where this still happens.
jimmy
July 3, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Is there a bigger holiday for kids? Christmas is the only contender and when I was a kid, I think I had more fun on the 4th. The reason was freedom.

Nice Denis, My first memories of Independence Day are family trips to Grampap's cottage at Piedmont lake. Aunts and uncles and cousins, fireworks, cowboys and indians, hikes in the woods, card games for the adults. Funniest thing I remember is Uncle Lou's "hunting dog" Buster. Legend has it that when he was a pup, they took him target shooting to get him used to the noise but Buster got scared and ran into the cottage and hid under the bed. Everytime after that, when someone got a rifle out or lit some lady fingers, where is Buster? Under the bed!

Have a safe and happy Independence Day.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?