TR Long John Silvers backcountry at the Bird
8 posts
5 users
1k+ views
BushwackerinPA
June 26, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Bushwackers first foray into the back country.

May 13th, 2006 Long John Silvers(white pine) drainage area.

This is about a month over due but I now have pictures so I figured I post it up.

This was my first "real" backcountry run that I have done. It involves hiking up the american twin forks peaks. then dropping down the backside traversing into white pine canyon and following that down to the canyon road.

Vertical drop of 5000 feet

Brian(MTN MAN on TGR) at the start of the climb.

Me and scott(coldsmoke on TGR) gaining the ridge.

Me and Scott nearing the top, it took us 45 min total hike. Most people take over an hour;).

Brian(MTN MAN on TGR) gaining the ridge. this a pretty exposed climb for being in plain site of snowbird slopes.

from left to right Brian, Scott, Me, Ron(endlessseason)

sorry no skiing pictures down sadly, but it was 4000 feet of great corn that ended in little bushwacking slog out. the slog out included creek crossing, skating, fall timber, and massive avalanche debris field with tree 3 and 4 feet aorund just taken out like tooth pics.
BushwackerinPA
June 26, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
here are some more pictures taken from the last weekend of mine at snowbird. Figure jsut add them on here.

Carving up the corn snow on the 105mm waist Gotamas

I love corn

Me showing the 30 meter sidecut skis whos boss and bending the hell of Them.

all the pictures in the thread are thanks to endlessseason complete thread below.
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56194

PS its kinda of strange that people would rather argue about ski manangment than get out and play.....
bawalker
June 26, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
WOW.....
Roy
June 27, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
That's a fantastic shot with the cloud behind you. You also had my jaw drop. I didn't do any out west skiing this year (1st time in 9 years) and I'm a little starved right now.
BushwackerinPA
June 27, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
thanks for the feedback guys. Looking at those pictures of me on the ridgeline I cant believe I was actually there. Like (ok I may be alittle full of myself) but like that the stuff when I started skiing I saw in magizines, and was like someday that will be me.:)
jimmy
June 27, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey josh, thanks for the pics. Amazing to me how *small* little cloud and min basin look from way up there . Don't know if i'll ever see that view first hand, great adventure, thanks
POWPOW
June 27, 2006
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
nice pics. We (I) have been haseled there heading up from Mineral because we didnt go through Patrol and "check in" at the top of Gad2 patrol for BC access to White Pine. Not that I stopped or anything, just put my head down and kept skinning. Can you also check in at Hidden Peak Patrol?
BushwackerinPA
June 28, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Yes you can check in at the top of Hidden Peak. They will check to make sure you have a beacon and it is on and you possess a shovel. Strangly they could care less about a probe but I would for sure have that too.

They will also at that time let you know what is going to be safe and what not. More importantly what gates are open. Me being a employe it was made clear to me that any rope ducking would be instant termenation.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?