Snow in June?
19 posts
10 users
4k+ views
tgd
June 26, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Just close your eyes and imagine that it's January and the stalled weather pattern we're in that is shuttling tropical moisture into the mid-Atlantic just turned the 6 inches of rain we received in Farifax overnight into 60 inches of snow - with no break in the pattern foreseen for another 4 days. Ahhhhh. Now that feels better - if I can just figure out how to clean up the snow drifts in my basement.
Roy
June 27, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I'm already ahead of you. I've been skiing in the back yard. But I need some socks that are better at wicking because my feet are all wet.
BushwackerinPA
June 27, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Up here in the burgh its the same story, rain everyday. Now I was suppose to go waterskiing tonight, but I dont know now.

FYI there is plenty of snow in June...its just not on this coast except for Santa's Workshop and tuckermans(very little still left up there too).
snowcone
June 27, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
As you know rain is just fetal snow. Now if you envision all that rain converted to snow at 10-12 inches snow per inch of rain ... CARUMBA!!! Nothing like 7+ feet of snow to make a skier giddy with expectation.

Yeah I know it's a whole bunch of months 'til ski season but if you take it in small sections it's not so bad. For example:

1.5 weeks until the 4th of July, which is ...
7 weeks until start of preseason football, which is ...
7 weeks until time to buy new gear and get waxed and release checked, which is ...
4 weeks until Thanksgiving, which is ...
... SKI SEASON!!!!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
therusty
June 27, 2006
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
The thing I want to know is who moved Seattle to the East coast?

This morning I saw a groundhog wearing a personal flotation device, deer wearing bathing suits and a gang of snakeheads marching up the street spray painting garbage cans! I'm tellin ya, this rain thing is out of hand.

Do you think Blue Knob's snowmaking lake is full yet? Cause if I see one more whiny post about it being empty I'll send 100M gallons over their Internet connection.
jb714
June 27, 2006
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Quote:

Do you think Blue Knob's snowmaking lake is full yet? Cause if I see one more whiny post about it being empty I'll send 100M gallons over their Internet connection.

canaanman
June 28, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Quote:

The thing I want to know is who moved Seattle to the East coast?

Actually, on average, D.C. gets more rainfall annually than Seattle.

Everyone around here refers to it as 'Bringing Katrina to Bush's doorstep' and the "old-timers" say, "pfft.. that's nothing compared to 85.. even 96."
therusty
June 28, 2006
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Yeah - but we usually get more sun than they do. Thank God this stinking rain is over. The geese have finally returned my scuba gear. I don't know what to do about the cattails sprouting in the middle of my lawn. However, the chipmunk paddling his little life raft down the driveway was hysterical.
tgd
June 28, 2006
585 posts
Quote:

Everyone around here refers to it as 'Bringing Katrina to Bush's doorstep' and the "old-timers" say, "pfft.. that's nothing compared to 85.. even 96."

I hadn't heard that one. Anyway, at least in DC this has been a historic rainfall. The 7+ inches received at Reagan International AP was the highest 1 day total since Tropical Storm Agnes in 1972. The multi-day totals (over 12.5" since Thursday recorded at a weather station near my house in Merrifield) are the highest EVER recorded - other areas locally were hit a lot harder - over 15" since last Thursday. The Washington Post called this a once in 200 years downpour. Fortunately, though the Potomac is due to surpass flood stage this evening in Alexandria, flooding is expected to be minor. Also, without a hurricane, coastal surge, faulty levies this ain't no Katrina by a long shot. Being above sea level sure helps too.
bawalker
June 28, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
1985 was the year that a hurricane (forget which one) got stalled over the Potomac highlands and dumped upto 13-17" of rain in two days in various parts of the Potomac Highlands. This flood destroyed Moorefield and parts of Petersburg and other towns along the South Branch of the Potomac. For those who are curious, this was deemed a 500 year flood and at the crest of the flooding, the entire McDonalds roof, the one there on 220, was entirely underwater.
yellowdog
June 28, 2006
Member since 10/18/2004 🔗
45 posts
Wasn't that the time when the entire rail line the Potomac Eagle uses was washed out?
BushwackerinPA
June 28, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Maybe with another active hurricane season we will have another Wilmaesque "Snowicane" that brings us late October snow again.

How does grass ski in bryce this time of year? I want to really try that out.
tgd
June 28, 2006
585 posts
Brad: What's the forecast for floodstage along the South Branch from this storm? Looking to drive up to Canaan Friday afternoon, but thought it might be a good idea to avoid 55 because of its proximity to the Potomac.

Tom
bawalker
June 29, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
You are correct. Not only was the entire rail like of the Potomac Eagle washed out, but numerous main bridges were utterly destroyed. The Rt 220/28 bridge crossing the South Branch at the Hardy/Grant county line was demolished. I have pictures of this for anyone who is interested in looking.

Quote:

Wasn't that the time when the entire rail line the Potomac Eagle uses was washed out?

bawalker
June 29, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I'm not sure what the floodstage forecast is, but I was in Moorefield yesterday and everything river wise is well contained, and in fact the river is hardly up. The front that caused the two storms to merge lastweekend was intially further east along the North Mountain range and into VA where the rains started. By Sunday that front had migrated back westwardly over the Appalachian Front. However when I watced radar, storms flowing from the Appalachian Front didn't get wound up until they started crossing over the Wardensville area and into VA.

Moorefield and Petersburg have no known flooding at this time with rivers well within their banks. As for personal driveways, ditches, and other back roads, there were small washouts. Nothing major.

Quote:

Brad: What's the forecast for floodstage along the South Branch from this storm? Looking to drive up to Canaan Friday afternoon, but thought it might be a good idea to avoid 55 because of its proximity to the Potomac.

Tom

tgd
June 29, 2006
585 posts
Brad:
Thanks for the on the ground (versus under the water) report!

Tom
Norsk
June 30, 2006
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
All this fetal snow got me wondering -- what is the latest in the spring it has snowed in WV?
jb714
June 30, 2006
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
I think that I recall seeing somewhere on the Whitegrass website, a list of weather history/facts. If I'm not mistaken it lists sometime in early June as the latest for snow in Canaan Valley. Not sure about WV as a whole.
BushwackerinPA
June 30, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
on MPC is can and has snowed any month of the year.

this was taken in May(edit -according the webmaster of the site..)

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.