Blue Knob & the environment on News tonight!!!!
10 posts
5 users
1k+ views
Mountain Masher
June 2, 2006
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
Although I'm sure that most DCSki members live outside the WJAC TV 6 viewing area (an NBC affiliate in Johnstown, PA), I'm told that I'm going to be featured at Blue Knob ski area on the News tonight. Specifically, my interview, which took place today at the site of the new (nearly dry) snowmaking lake at BK, is going to be shown on the local evening News, June 2 (5:00 PM and 6:00 PM). I will be discussing land use and environmental issues on the State Park land at BK ski area. Viewers should also be able to get a reasonably good view of the lake bed and surrounding area.
jimboc
June 2, 2006
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
Thats awesome. Good for you! I wish I could watch it.
comprex
June 2, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

Uh, they DO have video on demand:
http://www.wjactv.com/video/9312475/index.html
jimboc
June 2, 2006
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
sweet - i'll be waiting for them to post it later today
Mountain Masher
June 4, 2006
541 posts
Yes, I WAS featured at BK on the WJAC TV evening news just after 5:30 PM on Friday, June 2. I was hoping that the story would be run a total of 2 times during the evening news (between 5:00 PM and 6:30 PM) but no such luck. I'm thinking that perhaps the BK story was run again during the 11:00 PM news on June 2, but I'm not sure since I was out and away from a TV during that time. During the news segment, I spoke of how I felt that yet a 3rd water impoundment near the top of Blue Knob (on State Park land) was excessive, especially since there isn't a significant amount of water in it. Also, I mentioned that BK is the highest stand-alone peak in PA (the second highest point in the state) and falls within the Chesapeake Bay watershed. And, given the significance of Blue Knob, I spoke of how it's important the the environment there be protected, including the watershed just below the ski slopes. Note: I'll soon be posting some pictures (that were taken last week) of the new lake at BK, or shall I say, the nearly dry lake-bed, complete with its black liner now showing rips and holes.
Roy
June 5, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
It's not in the Video on Demand yet.

MM, what was the purpose of the new story? What were they trying to cover?
Mountain Masher
June 5, 2006
541 posts
Hi Roy, I just called WJAC TV and asked why the story on Blue Knob was not featured on their website. They stated that they do not put all stories up on their website and don't even archive all stories on their website. Needless to say, I'm very dissappointed that the BK story isn't available on the WJAC TV website. To confirm that the BK story ran on June 2, you can call the station at: 814 255-7600.

The purpose of the story was to note that the new lake near the top of BK still doesn't have a significant amount of water in it and was not used for snowmaking last winter. Also, the liner in the lake-bed appears to be insufficient because some rips and holes are evident. And the cleared area surrounding the lake-bed hasn't been cleaned up as large piles of stumps and debris can still be found. The story concluded by asking whether a 3rd snowmaking impoundment (that appears to have flaws) is a proper use of PA State Park land, especially since the other 2 snowmaking impoundments are also on State Park land and near the summit of BK, the highest stand-alone peak in PA. Anyway, it was a very short news piece that featured the reporter summarizing the aforementioned concerns (the logged areas located further down the mountain were also briefly mentioned) and me making a few concluding statements while standing in front of the camera with the lake-bed as a back-drop.
Roy
June 6, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Quote:

To confirm that the BK story ran on June 2, you can call the station at: 814 255-7600.

MM I know we always give you a lot of crap but I don't need to confirm the story ran. I believe you. It would have been cool to see the piece if they had it.

I admire your diligence and hope that the news story would help the cause. It would be nice to have BK open more consistently.
Scott - DCSki Editor
June 6, 2006
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,252 posts
Mountain Masher: did the segment include an interview with Blue Knob officials? (If not, did the station at least attempt to interview the officials or get comment from them?)
Mountain Masher
June 6, 2006
541 posts
Scott, I believe that WJAC TV contacted PA State Park officials and attempted to contact the ski area concessionaire BEFORE running the story. WJAC told me that it is their policy to show "both sides" of every story whenever possible. From what the reporters with WJAC told me, PA State Park officials declined to appear on camera or even comment and the ski area owners (who live out-of-state) could not be reached for comment. I might add that the Director of State Parks for PA (who had final approval on all of the development activities on State Park land at Blue Knob) is retiring on June 23. A new PA Director of Parks has been selected, he is a high-level State Park official from MD; I see this as a positive development for PA.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.