Relieve the Boredom
14 posts
10 users
2k+ views
kwillg6
May 4, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Since taking my last turns in April with Jimmy, I have been bored stiff without doing it on the snow. I know, I know, some with perverted minds would say that the snow is too cold to do it on and why would I be doing it with Jimmy anyway , but just out of curiosity, what is your favorite trail to cruise in the mid atlantic? This would be the trail you just LOVE to let 'em rip on. I love fast GS turns on several trails on different mountains, but will keep it under my helment till later....
JimK - DCSki Columnist
May 4, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I'll bite.

There are good choices at many mid-Atlantic ski areas, however the fun factor is aided at mtns with verticals of 1000' or more.

Because of the length and pitch of Cupp Run at Snowshoe, WV it is hard to beat when the snow is good and the crowds are low. If they offered an intermediate bail-out option around Lower Shays that run would be a great cruiser too. Some of those summit runs at Timberline, WV are great including The Drop, particularly with the soft snow and groomed corduroy conditions I experienced in early Jan. The two easy blacks off Massanutten quad chair and Cliffhanger at Wintergreen are nice too. . But my sentimental favorite from boyhood days is the rag tag, mini adventure of Stembogan at Blue Knob, PA. You have to ski some groomers and flats just to get there. There's something of a "bowl" at top, then it's rocky and weedy with a funky fall line, alternating between steep and flat and very curvy. Wide open powder field at bottom in the right conditions. If you access it via the Edgeset trail you'll even catch some tight, but not super steep bumps. Lot of different intermediate-advanced stuff in one in-bounds run that almost gives you a feeling that you just skied something out-of-bounds.
jimmy
May 4, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Why don't we do it in the snow, umm
Why don't we do it in the snow, mmm
Why don't we do it in the snow, aah
No one will be watching us
Why don't we do it in the Snow?

Beatles?

So Kim, u mean let it rip, manwe wereflyin justtry towipethis $hit eatin offmy face kind of trail?

Dew Drop at Timberline, early in the day, cuttin cord from edge to edge. I like the consistent pitch, the turns and it's just steep enough to really fly. Hit it with my daughter monday after luau, so cool to hear her right behind me, matching turns, man we were flyin, first time she really let it rip i think, the on her face sparkle in her eye when we finished, priceless. That's my favorite in WV.
BushwackerinPA
May 4, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Anything groomed at Timberline are my favorite's to GS turn, but other notables

At Blue Knob - Expressway with all the little rollers is hoot at speed.

Springs - North Face slope

Wisp - Squirel Cage

Snowshoe - like every one else said Cupp

and At Hidden Valley Imperial and Cobra will allways be my favorite cause i could rack up vert there so fast...about 8 runs an hour if I was skiing with me right hand girl Kelli B. I ma almost sure that in hte last 3 years no ones has as many runs on the double lifts at Hidden Valley. I think the other HV people on this board would agree;)
kwillg6
May 5, 2006
2,066 posts
Ya, Jimmmy! That kind of trail. Those which make it easy to boot out when laying the skis on their edge...the tears in your eyes ripping as your edges carve perfectly railed tracks in the cords. Ms. M can't wait till next year to leave me in the powder, ripping big GS turns after missing out in March with the fracture. You know, the kind of rippin you can do on Cupp, Dew Drop, Lightening, and the Drop. Another favorite is Ramble @ CV either runs off the quad at the Nut. You gotta get up early to rip those kind of turns at WG though. When I was a weekend warrior at the shoe, I loved having to teach at the Creek cuz the crowds were so much less, and ripping turns was safe from Cascade, north. North face at 7S and is great as well. Geez! How many months till it snows again???? Maybe I'll wax my boards in the meantime...you know...it gets me in da mood for rippin'. Besides, it's too early in the unseason to begin discussions about beer, boots, and ....
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
May 5, 2006
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
I'll play, though i don't get around as much as you guys. it's not just the slope, it's what you do with it.

* outerlimits gets credit for being new and has a nice tilt, but since it was usually so slushy it was real treat when it was nice and firm. sort of reverse logic there.

* i have a weird weakness for wp snowbowl as well, i can't explain it.

* tline - the day i was there white lightning was great even with crappy snow but the drop was really marginal; finally we got heavy snow at night so almost heavan was better. several good laps with my 12 year old son were something to remember.

* cupp run is ok, but it just doesn't motivate me to drive twice as far as several other places and fight the crowds, so i have not been there in forever.

* cliffhanger. it has a good pitch and you can choose several different lines. more importantly, it now has sentimental value....

...this december, i thought i was really rippin it when i took the right to logger, forgetting that there are frequently ruts there. tips dug in and i went flying over the top, must have looked like an i.e.d. when i landed. so my little girl comes up behind me carrying my poles and asks "wow dad, are you ok?" (badly sprained shoulder took 2 months to heal, but didn't stop my skiing!) lift tickets: $100, being rescued by my little girl: pricelesss.

ps: yes, I have skied at pipestem. not my favorite slope but still fun. maybe in the middle of the hot summer i'll post a trip report.
tgd
May 5, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Quote:

Besides, it's too early in the unseason to begin discussions about beer, boots, and ....

Got up this morning and I got myself a beer, (da dump, dadadada dada...)
Cause the unseason's here and the end is not so near....

Doors

(oh yeah, almost heaven to lower thunderstruck)
jimmy
May 5, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Besides, it's too early in the unseason to begin discussions about beer, boots, and ....

Doors

HuH, too early for beer and boots, can you wait for saturday nite?

"It's getting late I haven't seen my date
so tell me when the boys get here
It's seven o'clock and I wanna rock
Want to get a belly full of beer

My old man's drunker than a bar full of wino's
And my old lady she don't care
My sister looks cute in her braces and boots
A handful of grease in her hair"

kwillg6
May 5, 2006
2,066 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doors

HuH, too early for beer and boots, can you wait for saturday nite?

"It's getting late I haven't seen my date
so tell me when the boys get here
It's seven o'clock and I wanna rock
Want to get a belly full of beer

My old man's drunker than a bar full of wino's
And my old lady she don't care
My sister looks cute in her braces and boots
A handful of grease in her hair"

Oh yeah, and when I drink alone.....I'd rather be by myself....
warren
May 5, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Quote:

Oh yeah, and when I drink alone.....I'd rather be by myself....

Ohh I tell ya, I tell ya. The first time I made love, I was scared, I was really scared.........I was All Alone (Rodney Dangerfield)

-Warren-
JimK - DCSki Columnist
May 5, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
ZZ Top Beer Drinkers And Hell Raisers

If you see me walkin' down the line
with my fav'rite honky tonk in mind,
well, I'll be here around suppertime
with my can of dinner and a bunch of fine.
Beer drinkers and hell raisers, yeah.
Uh-huh-huh, baby, don't you wanna come with me?
- Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill & Frank Beard
Roger Z
May 6, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
All this talk of beer and skiing reminds me of one my favorite runs in the Mid-Atlantic: RidgeRunner at Winterplace. It's about a mile long and has a bar halfway down it. We've nicknamed it "Beer Run." It's one of the few things that makes WP entertaining- the more you ski Beer Run, the tougher the mountain gets.

But Snowbowl is nice too. It's that ungroomed pow in the middle that makes it so loveable. Especially after some Beer Runs.

Off to the last two finals of my graduate school career. I'm finished as of about 4:30 p.m. this afternoon!!!!
David
May 6, 2006
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Quote:

Off to the last two finals of my graduate school career. I'm finished as of about 4:30 p.m. this afternoon!!!!

CONGRATS!! Must be nice. I have a week full of finals next week and then I will only have finals 4 more times in my undergrad career.
fishnski
May 6, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Still trying to figure out if its better to fish with shrimp shell on or off!??! Good luck all you schoolies!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.