Tussey
4 posts
4 users
1k+ views
langleyskier
May 2, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I am going to be attending penn state next year and know that tussey mountain is really close to state college. Their Website is pretty bland and gives no stats and for some reason dcski does not have it listed under Pennsylvania resorts so i was wondering if anyone has been there and can give me some insight on what it is like. I am thinking about buying a season pass there for next season and would save 20% if i buy it by may 15th.

Thanks!
wojo
May 2, 2006
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
For two winters I traveled up to St College for meetings quite frequently. I hit Tussey three or four times. One was a Thursday afternoon about 3 years ago at the beginnning of Dec. There were 14 inches of fresh powder. It was stupendous conditions. That day I called home from the bottom of the lifts to announce the cancellation of my flight by asking my daughter to guess what kid of shoes I had on

The mountain on the other hand is short (about 400 feet of vert if I recall correctly). On the trail map 4, 5, 6, and 7 are all the same. 2 and 3 have a little character. You can cut through the trees between runs 3&4 if there is snow for a litte fun. The Tbar was never open when I was there. Crowds were pretty much non-existent every time I was there mid week, except fo the 104 FM night when lift and rentals were very cheep. Bring your own gear as the rental stuff was below par. The lift is slow, but people are willing to talk. The drive is very short from St. College dorms at about 10 minutes. The Chilli in the cafeteria was fantastic. The Black runs are no different than the Blues, except for the icy drop in I would check to see if there is a Student Rate from the college.

They did have a ski class in the PE department which was very cool. 20 kids in the lodge with instruction on the physics of skiing, then out on the slopes, then some more class (it looked pretty cool). Penn State has a ski team too

All in all Tussey in my opinion was better than going to a bar. Not a huge mountain though.

Quote:

I am going to be attending penn state next year and know that tussey mountain is really close to state college. Their Website is pretty bland and gives no stats and for some reason dcski does not have it listed under Pennsylvania resorts so i was wondering if anyone has been there and can give me some insight on what it is like. I am thinking about buying a season pass there for next season and would save 20% if i buy it by may 15th.

Thanks!

GaryEsq
May 2, 2006
Member since 12/20/2005 🔗
54 posts
Quote:

Thanks!

As a PSU alum, the one thing that disappoints at Tussy is that they stop making snow very early (late Feb when I was there)....and so in dry/warm seasons, there will not be much March skiing at all. My $.02
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
May 6, 2006
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
If Tussey is not to your liking and if you have a car, Blue Knob is about 1 and 1/2 hours away.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.