It's snowing...
15 posts
6 users
1k+ views
bawalker
December 4, 2003
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
It just started in Wardensville at 3:05pm with intial moderate snow followed and still is sleeting.

Man I feel like Bob Ryan now. Bring on the powder!

(Anonymous)
December 4, 2003
Bawalker, I don't suppose you have a little Webcam that you could point out the window?
bawalker
December 4, 2003
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Yeah I do, but unfortunately the snow is so light (more sleet than snow right now) that the camera can't pick it up. It's a logitech QuickCam Pro 3000. Once the snow starts falling I'll get up clips and images. That reminds me, does anyone know where I can get information regarding altitude, longitutes etc for a specific geographical place? I'd like to get that info and post current Wardensville conditions since I live here and a majority of you all travel right through town. Sorta as a community service for all on DCski.com.

Although anyone feel like sending in donations for me to buy a remote controled camera with built in webserver to do wireless streaming from a telephone pole in main street Wardensville? Or a Digital camera will do. hehe ;-)

[This message has been edited by bawalker (edited 12-04-2003).]

Chad
December 4, 2003
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
a little snow blowing around here in fairfax. shouldnt need a shovel anytime soon though.
(Anonymous)
December 4, 2003
terraserver-usa.com will give you the coordinates.......topozone.com probably as well
bawalker
December 4, 2003
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
UPDATE:

9:07 PM - Wardensville, WV 970' elevation we now have 1/4" of an inch of "wet" snow that has frosted all of the trees. It is snowing pretty hard so much that visibility is down quite a bit.

Winter has arrived.

[This message has been edited by bawalker (edited 12-04-2003).]

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 5, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Skiing Weatherman did a late update yesterday:

"Big time snow (8-16) from WV, through MD, Eastern PA, the Catskills, Berkshires, and extreme southern VT and NH, tapering off rather quickly north of there. Saturday is the day of the heaviest snow in New England...Friday night and early Saturday further south. Wisp in Maryland is still my jackpot resort...they should top 20 inches."

http://www.skiingweatherman.com/weather.php

danwxman
December 5, 2003
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
58 posts
I think he's going to bust badly by calling Wisp as the jackpot. Looks like SE PA into NW NJ will get the most out of this....Btw I've been watching the radar all night, the mtns of WV have been in a snow hole, ouch!
December 5, 2003
1,986 posts
The first real update on the snow situation in the Canaan Valley will be the White Grass snow report that comes out at 8 am. I'm thinking of hitting Wisp tomorrow because it's offering much more terrain..
December 5, 2003
1,986 posts
PS If you look at the Savage Mountain cam on the MD CHART system, it appears that I-68 is down to one lane in that area:

http://www.chart.state.md.us/

(Anonymous)
December 5, 2003
Snow Report Date: 12-05-03 Day: Friday Time: 6:37am
Current Weather/Temp: 21 degrees and snowing
Forecast: 25 degrees and snow

Depth of new/natural snow: 2"
Depth of new Machine Snow:0" - 4"
Avg. Depth of Base ---
Snow Making Areas:8" - 12"
Natural Snow areas:0"

Today we plan to open 8 Slopes+Trails, 4 Chair Lifts, and 1-2 Surface Lifts.

This weekend we plan to open 10 Slopes+Trails, 5 Chair Lifts, and 2 Surface Lifts.

Today's Hours: 9am - 7pm
RATES:
DAY & TWILIGHT: (ADULT $25.00 / CHILD $20.00 )
NIGHT: (ADULT Closed / CHILD Closed )

Welcome to opening day of the 2003-2004 Season! With the forecast of more snow (12" - 24"), conditions and terrain openings will change. Come join us for a SUPER start of the season!

This report reflects conditions at a specific moment in time only! Conditions vary with weather changes and skier use. Be aware of changing conditions. Conditions subsequent to this report may be different.

(Anonymous)
December 5, 2003
At 5:30 am it was snowing lightly in Canaan. We got about 2 inches last night at about 3600'. It mostly turned to rain to the west of Canaan around Buchannon, WV and was a good bit warmer.
Chad
December 5, 2003
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
wow this is amazing. i have about four inches here at my house in prince william. more than canaan?
gatkinso
December 5, 2003
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
Well, I aqm putting my stock in 7Springs this weekend and shooting up on Saturday.

I'd rather hit Timberline or Canaan, but their limited terrain make that unfeasable. I really wish they would go for more earlier openings, but oh well mother nature hasn't been kind this year.

bawalker
December 5, 2003
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
UPDATE:

Elevation: 970'
Temperature: 29*F
SnowFall: 4" as of 10:20am

Highways: SR-259/55 has both lanes open entering and leaving Wardensville. White lines can't be seen due to slush forming although yellow lines and road surfaces are 98% clear.

Conditions: Thick heavy snow is falling at a much finer coarse than earlier. The area where the ground meets the snow is melting and slushing a bit, about 1/2 inch due to ground temperature.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?