Computers for sale...?
10 posts
6 users
1k+ views
bawalker
April 17, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Being that it's now slowing down here on the boards, I figure I would jump in with a non ski related topic mainly because I'm bored at the moment.

Does anyone have any Apple mac computers that they want to get rid of? Or know someone wanting to get rid of Apple mac computers? This includes any sort of G3, G4, or G5 based iMac, eMac, PowerMac tower, PowerBook, iBook, MacBook (Pro), and Mac Mini's. Any accessories such as software keyboards, mice, displays, speakers would also be welcomed.

I'm looking to learn the Apple platform plus I've found that Apple based systems seem to go over really well with customers. I've been taking any older and used systems, completely refurbishing them and seeing they get into homes of families who may not be able to afford a $500+ brand new computer.

PM me if you have or know of anyone willing to get rid of some Macs. I'd gladly drive down to the Northern VA area to pick them up.
Murphy
April 17, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
If you don't mind old equipment check university surplus stores. I know the VT surplus store is full of old computers. Not sure how many are apples.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
April 17, 2006
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
That's a noble cause, bawalker. Actually, today I was looking at replacing my older iMac which I've had for about 5 or 6 years that I keep at Snowshoe. It's in excellent working condition and I upgraded it with max RAM and a newer 80GB hard drive. Comes together with a printer too. Has a CD reader but not writer. I'm replacing it because it doesn't have Fire Wire or Airport, which I need in my new wireless network in the condo.

Only problem is logistics, I am in DC on a detail and won't get to Snowshoe until the weekend of April 28th. You can come down or I can drop it on the way back to DC on Sunday afternoon/early evening, since I go through Wardensville anyway.

If it's for someone who needs it, I'd be glad to reformat and give it to you.
bawalker
April 17, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I've thought about that, but as I'm dealing with in my office/lab area right now, is that older PC stuff is valued much less in terms of working condition. Even the very cases that made up some of those old PC's are clunky, burdensome, rusty, and even have some pretty sharp edges. What I've found is that macs and Dells that rage from 1999-2002 seem to be a solid and well designed product that can still handle modern software with little effort. Especially with nothing more than a memory upgrade or Hard drive upgrade.

Quote:

If you don't mind old equipment check university surplus stores. I know the VT surplus store is full of old computers. Not sure how many are apples.

bawalker
April 17, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Lou,

Thanks for the comments. Being that this is still a bit of a rural area where incomes aren't as disposable as they are in other city areas, I've come across alot of families, couples, and others who need access to at least email at times but don't have a solid means of doing that. Many of them don't want to pay for a new $500+ system at walmart or from Dell either cause they can't afford it, or don't want to use a credit card. Not that I can blame them much either.

Anyway if you are looking to get rid of that iMac, let me know. I'm not in a huge rush or anything and if you wanted to drop it off on the way back, I'd gladly meet you in Moorefield Wardensville or somewhere since I'm always in these areas.

Quote:

That's a noble cause, bawalker. Actually, today I was looking at replacing my older iMac which I've had for about 5 or 6 years that I keep at Snowshoe. It's in excellent working condition and I upgraded it with max RAM and a newer 80GB hard drive. Comes together with a printer too. Has a CD reader but not writer. I'm replacing it because it doesn't have Fire Wire or Airport, which I need in my new wireless network in the condo.

Only problem is logistics, I am in DC on a detail and won't get to Snowshoe until the weekend of April 28th. You can come down or I can drop it on the way back to DC on Sunday afternoon/early evening, since I go through Wardensville anyway.

If it's for someone who needs it, I'd be glad to reformat and give it to you.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 17, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Brad, I have a couple of older PCs that run Windows and would be great for someone only wanting to do emails or write school papers. I even have some printers that work with the machines. Would you be interested in these? I have been planning to take the computers to some place like the Salvation Army, but your idea sounds great! And they are free!!
The Colonel
bawalker
April 17, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I'll take almost anything I can get. The reason I say "almost anything" is that I've learned from personal experience that there is a point where the technology is just too old to be of any use to anyone. At that point I'll take machines that are too old to be of any use and salvage them for parts. You wouldn't believe how many times I've needed power supplies, memory, and other such items for a customer and they were on a budget. Instead of spending $100 on a new powersupply, I would take one from a salvaged system and sell it for $15.

Systems that would work with some cleaning up and additions to memory etc, seem to fall in the realm of being manufactured between the 1999 and onward category. Anything that is a Pentium 3/Celeron or equivelant and above is perfect. Pentium 1 and Pentium 2 generation systems seem to have issues with Windows XP Windows 2000 and such. Mainly due to lack of drivers, support for the motherboards etc.

If you have a list of what you have PC wise, feel free to send it over to me. I'm always making use of PC's/Mac's and components.

Brad

Quote:

Brad, I have a couple of older PCs that run Windows and would be great for someone only wanting to do emails or write school papers. I even have some printers that work with the machines. Would you be interested in these? I have been planning to take the computers to some place like the Salvation Army, but your idea sounds great! And they are free!!
The Colonel

Roger Z
April 17, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
I've got a dead laptop and an old desktop I'd be happy to send to you, if you'd pay for delivery (otherwise I'm gonna go give them an Office Space burial). They're not Mac's though.
bawalker
April 17, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Sure. Whats the specs on the systems?
skier219
April 22, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
At some point, my wife's 2001-vintage 12" iBook may be available. It needs a new battery, but runs fine off AC power. It was the high end model with the combo drive (DVD-R/CD-RW). Starting to get too slow for our needs... I'd be glad to pass it on cheap for a good cause.

Craig

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.