Ski tips face front or back?
8 posts
4 users
2k+ views
Steve
April 11, 2006
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
I noticed on the Yakima site under FAQ's that skis are supposed to be loaded tips to the rear. I've seen it elsewhere exactly the opposite.

Does it matter? I've been doing tips to the front although having the rears forward may cause less wind resistance.

Any thoughts? (OK, I'm bored and want to go skiing and planning for next year is as close as I can get.)

Steve
kennedy
April 12, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Dude you really are bored. Think of it like this, imagine every ski as a little spoiler and having all that extra downforce is glueing you to that snowy road. I don't think it really matters. There may be minute differences in drag and stuff but so what.
jimmy
April 12, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Seems like a lot of discussion lately re:ski tips, crossing, forwards or backwards. The answer goes all the way back to when you mount ur roof rack, but really steve, don't you want to do what's best for your babies? Crush has already established that if you know how to talk to your skis they'll listen, why don't you ask them and see if they have anything to say on the subject? I'll bet they say put me inside the car, truck, suv! At least that's what mine told me.
Steve
April 13, 2006
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
Jimmy you're right. The next time I load them up, I'll leave the sunroof open and see if they complain on the ride up. They're always complaining on the ride home, you know, Steve could lose a few pounds, can't believe he let that snowboarder beat us, can you understand why he wears that hat, blah, blah, blah....
kennedy
April 14, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
You think it's bad when they moan on the way home. Try putting them in the bag for the summer. My board wouldn't shut up "please don't put me in the dark again. I can't take it again please, just let me hang on a wall or something but not the bag nnnoooooo!"

I tell ya it pulls at your heart strings. Then I put it back in the bag, I'm cruel like that.
jimmy
April 14, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

I tell ya it pulls at your heart strings. Then I put it back in the bag, I'm cruel like that.

But does that shut em up?

Steve sounds like maybe u are on Rossi's, maybe another French ski? We all know how whiney the french can be! My atomics and the volkls before them, austrian, stubborn, very stubborn, absolutely refused to ride in the rack without giving me tremendous grief. Everytime i tried all they did was bang on the sunroof until I gave in and put them inside.
kennedy
April 14, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
No it doesn't shut it up. I hear the muffled screams and sobbing as I fall asleep at night. I think it builds character because when it comes out of the bag at the start of the winter it's ready to rip. I have to watch it for the first few runs in case it gets a little vengeful and tries to catch a heel edge but mostly it knows to behave or else it's back in the bag.
warren
April 18, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Kennedy,
OK, THAT explains those crying sounds coming from my ski closet
I'll just have to go down and tell them that they have to wait until next season

-Warren-

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?