Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
See here Doug Coombs Dies in France. RIP brother
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 4, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
May he rest in peace...but, who was he?
And you left off the reference from your post.
The Colonel
Roger Z
April 4, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Oh man. With kids, too. But he died doing the right thing. For that at least, he is not only a legend in skiing but now a hero, too.

"Greater love hath no man than this: than that he may lay down his life for a friend." RIP.
JohnL
April 4, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
Quote:

Click on the word "here" in POWPOW's post. If you are using IE as your browser, any blue text in a post is an embedded URL link. You may experience trouble if you have a pop-up blocker installed...

Back to Doug Coombs, it seems that many a famous adventurer gets in trouble themselves when they are helping someone in trouble.

One of the pioneers.
Ullr
April 4, 2006
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Truly an incredible skier. I have seen many films of him, but never met him in person. This is a huge loss to our sport.
POWPOW
April 4, 2006
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
Quote:

May he rest in peace...but, who was he?
The Colonel

If you watch Warren Miller movies im sure you have seen him and Seth Morrison skiing in the Chugatch. Doug made most of the first ski descents in the valdez area when alaska was just starting to come on the map as far as steep skiing in the mid-late 80's. He also founded a heli skiing business, a steep skiing camps business, was one of the head guides for Exum and was one of only a handful of guides in the americas to have some of the highest level certification for guiding in the world. This guy is was the "real" deal and a inspiration to me.
Crush
April 4, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,274 posts
It is with a *great* feeling of saddness that I say goodbye to Doug Coombs. Indeed, watching his many first-decents I long ago had to add him to my " I Wanna Be that" list, right long with Plake, Seth, Stump Bro's, El Heffe(thanks for The Chutes!! Dude Jamie was your pup .. props!), Nobis (busted!), Fischer, Dean Cummins, Bodie, K. Reichhelm, Dr. Deep (U know!), Jamie P., Eric B.(flippin' and grinnin'), everybody that wails at Alta (yo Chris/Fagowees), and moguls ....

Bless Doug's soul ....

Me.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.