My day at Kirkwood
9 posts
6 users
1k+ views
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
April 3, 2006
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
This post is a followup to a couple of threads on the local resorts board; however, Kirkwood doesn't exactly seem local.

I had a business trip to San Francisco so took a side trip to Kirkwood with a couple of friends. As you can see from these pictures on Saturday 3/25, it was a hardcore day - 18" reported with high winds. The top was never opened as the sound of avy cannons ringed all day.

as usual, it took me about 1/2 the day to learn the conditions. until then, several plants. after beer and soup, I was much better. stay low and power all the way through the turn - much more important there than here. its all very good.

Due to the weather, not many pics. Enjoy.

The next morning would have been lovely, but it was time to leave.

finally, let's see who knows this location.
Roger Z
April 3, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
That's that park in San Francisco. Guess the locals don't hawk paintings on the rainy days.

Nice signature, pag...
April 3, 2006
925 posts
yeah, but which park?

ps: one day I'll show you my trip report from pipestem.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 3, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Good going pagamony. I had a number of ski days this year with less than ideal conditions. That is a little frustrating, esp when you are at a new ski area you are dying to thoroughly explore. That new snow you were in looks a little heavy or was it light? I liked that shot from the parking lot with RV that you took at sunrise of the wagonwheel chair and thimble peak. to the right side of that shot are a pair of cliffs with the sun still shining on them. the bigger one is where the three guys jumped off a few weeks ago, called "hospital air". Believe that particular cliff had only been hucked once before.

PS: did you see my 2005 trip report on Kirkwood? http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=809&mode=headlines
I REALLY liked that place.
skier219
April 3, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Looks awesome! That must have been tough to leave the following sunny morning... Some spectacular scenery.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 3, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Thanks for the post and great pictures. The good news...it snowed. The bad news...and snowed and snowed and snowed! Fairly common for the Sierras, frequent deep and heavy snow plus wind. I have skied only Squaw and thoroughly enjoyed it (like you as part of a business trip to San Francisco). It is not Utah fluff, but the scenery is spectacular, especially with the lake in view.
The Colonel
April 3, 2006
925 posts
Jim - yeah, it seems like last year I lucked out on every day (all 4 of them!) and this year was always dodgy (all 12 of them!). good report on your part.

the shorter chair (reut) beside wagon wheel chair was briefly open and we lapped that a few times which was the steepest terrain available. otherwise, we rode the solitude chair. met some really interesting people both on the slope and at the kirkwood inn that night (highly recommended). they definately have a good vibe there, not at all like a pure resort. i'd go back in a heartbeat.

I found out that they were on the verge of bankruptcy several years ago and decent condos could be had for $100K. New construction there is now all over $1M. They are actually selling shares in condos now. oh well.

the lake on the back side down the road over the carson spurr (silver lake?) is just absolutely gorgeous, ranking in the top 1% of scenery easily. i am told that in good weather you can ski/climb down the backside and hitch a ride back up (as can be done at loveland pass). that is also where someone recently died while attempting a world record for hucking (and who keeps such records?).

lots of good stuff there.
April 5, 2006
925 posts
I can't resist updating my own thread (how lame) so here you go.

Check out these numbers:

Kirkwood snow report
Wednesday, April 5
Last 24 hours 18-20" Season Total Range 503-757"
Last 48 hours 30-38" Base Depth 200-325"
Storm Total 86-127"
jimmy
April 5, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Thanks pagamony, I needed that . Put my gear away for the season, for the second time, last night, now you got me checking cheaptickets dot com.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.