Wisp TR 3-30-06
12 posts
6 users
1k+ views
David
March 30, 2006
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Today was a handsdown awesome day of skiing. It turned out to be a much better than I thought it would be. There was no more than 20 people (no exaggeration) skiing all day. Here is a small Trip Report with some pictures...Bear in mind this is my first report so please excuse any mishaps.

After arriving shortly before 9:00am it was 42 degrees and warming up by the minute. I did put on the ski pants that I normally wear (with nothing but shorts under them) but only wore a light zip-up fleece on top. We were quick to get on the slopes and I was surprised to see that things weren't as slushy as I thought they would be. The groomers must have been out last night because things were nice and smooth.

After lunch I took of my ski pants and pullover and opted for nothing but a t-shirt and shorts. As the day went on, the slopes that didn't have much base melted away quickly. As you can see from the pictures it started getting nasty. The cool thing was the 2-3 foot base on Squirrel Cage and The Face held good clean snow all day long. In the morning Squirrel Cage was nice and smooth and made for soft (kind of slow) GS turns all the way to the bottom. In the afternoon it had many piles of snow (which were fun to ski because they were so soft) because it was skied so much, not because there were a lot of people, but because with all of the other slopes melting like they were it was the only slope that people could legitimately ski. Moguls on The Face also provided for a good time throughout the entire day.

I ski Wisp all of the time and this was a trip unlike any other. Each time that I was there this year was unique. My only complaint about today (other than this massive sunburn I have now) is that all of the slopes on the East Ridge appeared to have enough snow to ski on, but all slopes were closed. Even though I couldn't ski Devil's Drop all day like I did in December, I had an absolute blast. Slush is still snow and any day spent on the snow beats the heck out of one spent anywhere else!!!

Check out some pics that I took throughout the day. Some turned out pretty good. (One of my buddy shows you why you should be careful when skiing in shorts and t-shirt.)

http://community.webshots.com/album/549061962mfZrxf
rmcva
March 30, 2006
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
Good report - sure hate the season is about over. Those knees and elbows look painful!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 30, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Great pictures! Fine report, you just left out one thing!
How did you scrape the arms and legs?
The Colonel
David
March 30, 2006
2,444 posts
Quote:

How did you scrape the arms and legs?
The Colonel

Those aren't my arms and legs. I was sitting at the bottom of the terrian park below The Face waiting and my buddy came down and just fell out of nowhere. He was almost all of the way past the terrain features. The funny thing was is he wasn't doing anything that would cause him to fall. He skied Squirrel Cage all day and never did fall. When he got clear to the bottom of The Face he fell on the flat part right in front of the lodge. Although he got pretty scraped up (not to mention snow in his boots since he only had shorts and a t-shirt on), we had a good laugh about it. Luckily this happened right at the end of the day.
skier219
March 30, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Great report and pics, thanks!
David
March 30, 2006
2,444 posts
A highpoint that I didn't include: I found out today that next season I should be starting to train with the Wisp Ski School and hopefully become an instructor there. This is the beginning of my evil plan to move west after I graduate college and teach skiing out there. I just have one favor to ask all of you DCSkiers: DON'T LET MY GIRLFRIEND FIND OUT ABOUT MY EVIL PLAN!!!!
BushwackerinPA
March 30, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Hmmn you girl doesnt ski?....I can see that lasting very long.

Also why wait till college is done to move out there and waste a degree teaching skiing.
David
March 31, 2006
2,444 posts
Quote:

Also why wait till college is done to move out there and waste a degree teaching skiing.

Skiing is by far my favorite thing to do, but I happen to actually like school. College life is fun and I even enjoy "higher learning". I would be forever disowned by my parents if I just up and left without getting a degree first. If something would happen and I would get hurt skiing I would have nothing to fall back on. You say that: "If you can afford to go to college, then what is the point of going?" I say that if the state of West Virginia is going to pay for my tuition, then I am going to college until they stop. That is the deciding factor for me.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 31, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
David,
I am still looking for an answer as to how you and your friend scraped your arms and legs?
The Colonel
skier219
March 31, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

David,
I am still looking for an answer as to how you and your friend scraped your arms and legs?
The Colonel

I think his buddy crashed in the snow. It's like sandpaper to bare skin!
David
April 1, 2006
2,444 posts
Quote:

Quote:

David,
The Colonel

I think his buddy crashed in the snow. It's like sandpaper to bare skin!

Exactly. I didn't have any scraped arms or legs because I am smart and didn't wreck. He on the other hand...wasn't.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 1, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Thanks for the posts and pics David, almost like summer skiing on a glacier in the mid-Atlantic! Good luck with your evil plan. Definitely get that degree and if possible, definitely get out west, even if just for one season. Wish I had done that.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.