Snowshoe Dumped On
9 posts
6 users
942 views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter
March 26, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,103 posts
From the Snowshoe snow report of Sunday evening...
"It's a powder day at Snowshoe Mountain! A total of 17" of snow has fallen since Friday night - that brings our total for the week up to 20"". Season total now 174 inches!!
ENJOY!!!
The Colonel
ndskier
March 26, 2006
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
56 posts
I was at snowshoe today....conditions were absolutely fantastic. The whole mountain was bumping up a little bit towards the end of the day and that was pretty fun. They have enough snow on that mountain to go for quite a while if they wanted to....this weeks warm up shouldn't ruin closing weekend. Ducked the ropes on lower shays, it was pretty sweet too, got busted but they let me off with just a warning. There are definitely thin areas but no reason it shouldn't be open; lower shays is an expert trail, expert skiers are well capable of dodging a few thin spots. 17 inches this weekend may be pushing it but they defintely got dumped on, great time.
skier219
March 27, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Glad to hear people got out there and enjoyed the snow -- this was truly an epic weekend. I am sorry I drove home Friday night (though I was seriously skied out and glad for a rest). If I knew about all the snow ahead of time, I would have shifted my trip to overlap the weekend!

I don't know why they closed lower Shay's -- last year it was open with thin cover, and that was part of the fun. Made the skiing extremely technical without being dangerous (ie, if you cared about your ski bases, every turn was important -- but it wouldn't kill you). I agree that expert skiers would be able to handle it fine.
TLaHaye
March 27, 2006
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
You're reminding me of late season skiing as a youth, when about the only snow left was the tops of the moguls. Somehow, we made it work, 'cuz once that snow was gone ..... next Thanksgiving was a long ways off.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter
March 27, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,103 posts
When I was there on 19 March Lower Shays had several places where the bare dirt was showing completely across the trail. While this would be covered by new snow, unless the snow really piled up on the bad part of the trail a skier/boarder would probably hit bare dirt/rocks when executing a sharp turn.
The Colonel
BushwackerinPA
March 28, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Quote:

I was at snowshoe today....conditions were absolutely fantastic. The whole mountain was bumping up a little bit towards the end of the day and that was pretty fun. They have enough snow on that mountain to go for quite a while if they wanted to....this weeks warm up shouldn't ruin closing weekend. Ducked the ropes on lower shays, it was pretty sweet too, got busted but they let me off with just a warning. There are definitely thin areas but no reason it shouldn't be open; lower shays is an expert trail, expert skiers are well capable of dodging a few thin spots. 17 inches this weekend may be pushing it but they defintely got dumped on, great time.




if that happen at Blue Knob the Patrol might of said is your neck not mine and joined you in your quest for powder.

Thumbs down to resorts who think they need to protect their skiers and riders. Especially on a Double Black.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter
March 28, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,103 posts
Post deleted by The Colonel
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter
March 28, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,103 posts
Quote:

"thumbs down to resorts who think they need to protect their skiers and riders. Especially on a Double Black."
I don't think the major interest is in protecting the skier as much as protecting the resort from a frivilous lawsuit.
The Colonel
David
March 29, 2006
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Quote:

I don't think the major interest is in protecting the skier as much as protecting the resort from a frivilous lawsuit.
The Colonel




Unfortunately that is Very True.
DCSki Sponsor: Massanutten Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?

Join the conversation by logging in.

Don't have an account? Create one here.

0.14 seconds