10 posts
6 users
1k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 25, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
SKIER219 and other posters about a 2007 Utah Trip,
I moved this part of the "days skied" discussion to a separate topic since I think it is a great idea and deserves more prominent cultivation. Often we have discussed SkiDCers getting together and this would represent the ultimate get together...UTAH or Tahoe, or wherever.
I personally really really like UTAH skiing , and have indulged probably 15 trips since I started so many years ago. I have stayed in Sandy, Park City, Snowbird and Ogden. I have skied Alta (in MHO, the MECA), Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, Park City, Deer Valley (the ultimate overall ski experience), Brian Head and Snowbasin. I have found expensive lodging (Alta/Snowbird), less expensive (Sandy/Midvale at numerous hotels such as Extended Stay, Homestead Inn, in the city at Little America, Marriot, etc., and at several places in Park City. By the way, there is a less glamorous hotel and therefore less expensive hotel in PC called APRES SKI (has a web site) for $75+/- a night, within easy walking distance of lifts.
I personally would vote for staying in PC for four days, no car needed, then either SLC or Sandy/Midvale (or at Snowbird) for another few days. If at the Bird then again no care needed. This way the folks that wanted to rent a car and go elsewhere would have the opportunity to do so, but creature comforts and less logistics would remain for us all. Whether we skied together, or chose different areas, whatever...it would still be a hoot. The best prices are available in January (except for the last part when the Sundance Film Festival takes place), and later in early April. While no ski location can guarantee quality deep snow, Utah has about the best track record.
So, I say, let's really pursue this idea. We will never get all our schedules to mesh, but if we work at it early enough there is the best chance of success.
The Colonel
snowcone
March 25, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
We were in PCR this year in January the week just before Sundance. The conditions were great. We did DV, PCR and Snowbasin; all resorts were fully open and every day was great. I would recommend January.
oofmama
March 25, 2006
Member since 03/22/2006 🔗
9 posts
Hey Colonel I'm all for it. I got a pretty wierd schedule but like you said if we start early enough well see what happens. Just let me know when I ain't never been out west so it don't matter where to me. So yea lets keep talking about it and sse what we can come up with.
jimmy
March 28, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey Colonel, kennedy has done a bunch of math on this one,

Quote:

I actually sat down 2 days ago and worked out the trip cost for a group to Utah and no mater how you shake it out for 1 week in Utah the cost averages about $1100. The magic number I figure is six and let me break down why.

Your flight will average you about $300-$350. You may do better or worse depending on frequent flyer miles and whatever else but I didn't assume this.

Lodging will run about $350/person for the week. This is based off a few different assumptions. First of all I didn't figure staying at a resort, I'm figuring staying in SLC or in my preference up around Eden. We stayed in the Little America in SLC which is a really nice hotel and fits within this cost group.

I assume a car rental cost at about $80-90 perperson for the week including fuel. This is based on a regular car not an SUV. If you have more and need a minivan the cost always works out about the same.

I threw about $300-$350 at lift tickets based on buying them discounted and not hitting all the most expensive areas. Maybe a day or two at Canyons or PCR but the rest at places like PowMow or Solitude.

Total cost $1150 + entertainment and food.

6 is the magic number because once you hit more than that t influences things like vehicle rental and lodging especially if you rent a condo or cabin. I'm guessing if you had a group of 20 or more you could do a bit better but where you get hit is flexibility. You can get group rates but everyone has to do the same thing which doesn't always work. For example on a group trip with skiers where I'm sure loads of you would want to hit Alta or Derr Valley I would be out by default.

Before anyone disects this too much remember this is an average and I'm sure you can do better by changing some things like lodging or transportation but I feel this is a good estimate because it gives a safe goal to aim at for planning. I'm probably going to start stashing the money for next years trip now with this in mind.

Groups of six, rates sound right for march, rental car & fuel might be a littlw low?
BushwackerinPA
March 28, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Make it snowbird I will be a "local in training: next year there.
jimmy
March 28, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
bushwach, things moving pretty fast for u out there, u got room for uncle jimmy to visit?
BushwackerinPA
March 28, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Not there yet give me about 7days:).
RidelikeaRhino
March 28, 2006
Member since 01/31/2006 🔗
42 posts
So tell me this is just like another trip to the knob! Heh you making advanced plans? Keep us posted dude. I can't wait to hear. What about your buddy? He goin too!
BushwackerinPA
March 29, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
No mike coming along this time. this isnt just a trip. I am working at snowbird for the remainder of the season(may 29th). Probably going to ski every minute, and every day, I am not working.

I might be(should probably be probably) going out there next year for the season. The only thing thats kept me at Hidden Valley has been the people, specifically the people in ski school, and the local homeowners who really do have a passion for skiing. I have made a tons of friends at Hidden Valley, and have enjoyed being a bigger fish in a very small pond there. I will miss it for sure, but its going to be nice to actually be able to support myself, and ski everyday I can.
RidelikeaRhino
March 29, 2006
Member since 01/31/2006 🔗
42 posts
Bon chance mon ami. Do come back and see the new rails. J passed level I and is very excited about it. I don't think I'll be able to hold him back.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.