Recent local snow = good skiing!
9 posts
5 users
1k+ views
skier219
March 25, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Snowshoe has gotten 3-6" in the last week, and it continues to flurry there today. Skiing was excellent packed powder over the past couple days, with some minimal icy spots and some loose fluff here and there. Very good skiing Thursday and Friday, and I expect the weekend and early next week will continue to be good. If you're thinking about Snowshoe, get out there because it will be VERY good!! By the way, the snow on the basin side has been much better than on the Western Territory -- the WT has gone through more freeze/thaw cycles due to it's exposure, while the basin side held the packed powder well.

As I drove home from Snowshoe last night (Friday), there were extremely heavy snows in the VA mountains around Monterey. In fact, it was snowing far heavier than it was in West Virginia and Snowshoe. Friday at Snowshoe they got 1-2" over the whole day, but the VA mountains got that amount in a couple hours last night. Apparently, the snow made it over to Wintergreen who is reporting 4" of new snow this Saturday morning, with more still in the air. They are closing tomorrow (until their final park party next weekend) but if you can get out there, the skiing ought to be good today and tomorrow.

I hope folks can get out and enjoy the excellent skiing this late March weekend. What a great way to wind down the season!

Craig
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 25, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Great Post...thanks. We need more informative and positive posts like this.
The Colonel
Murphy
March 25, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

As I drove home from Snowshoe last night (Friday), there were extremely heavy snows in the VA mountains around Monterey. In fact, it was snowing far heavier than it was in West Virginia and Snowshoe. Friday at Snowshoe they got 1-2" over the whole day, but the VA mountains got that amount in a couple hours last night. Apparently, the snow made it over to Wintergreen who is reporting 4" of new snow this Saturday morning, with more still in the air. They are closing tomorrow (until their final park party next weekend) but if you can get out there, the skiing ought to be good today and tomorrow.

I just got back from Winterplace and experienced the same thing (report on another thread). The mountains along the WV/VA border were covered in snow. Buckhorn (Moonshine Mountain) was lost in a snowstorm but that's the norm until mid-June .
fishnski
March 25, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Ive been trying to figure out this latest weather phenom...Hot springs Va was in good snow much of the day while Elkins was mostly just overcast. This is a total reversal. It looks to me that the reason the west va/VA border areas were getting the snow this time(at least more than usual) had to do with the low off the coast. Maybe backing some moisture up to the boarder ridge areas. Canaan hts Cked in with 4 inches last nite & it looked like it snowed off & on all day today...Great skiing for the last weekend in march! I'm only about a foot or so shy of my 167" prediction for CV this year.If 167 is reached, That would just make it an average year in my opinion since 12 inches came in Oct.
Murphy
March 25, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
There was definetly more snow the further south you went, as long as you were high enough. Catalooche (sp?) in the Smoky Mtns got 12".
fishnski
March 26, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Beech mtn,NC has 15" of new snow on the ground & still coming down! I am mad as hell....sitting here on the computer instead of bieng up on Mount Mitchell,NC where i planned on saying farewell to old man winter.Got a pair of Snowshoes I wanted to try out....But my better half had other plans for me...here she comes..got to go!!
skier219
March 26, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

I skiied wintergreen yesterday. It came was coming down when i showed up (already were around 3-4 inches on the ground), and they got one -- 2 more throughout the day. (I actually thought there was more than 6 inches on tyro, but maybe i'm wrong). The 'green was really beautiful, although i tired quickly cause I was telemarking.

Glad to hear that. I saw their ski report this morning, with a photo, and it looked like wonderful packed powder corduroy. They said about 6" total from the storm, so your estimates are right on. Wish I was there today! Actually, I wish they were open tomorrow -- the weather looks ideal. It's a pity they will be closing with such good snow.
Roger Z
March 26, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
I think that means that Beech Mountain officially got more snow this spring (read: after March 21st) than they did for the entire month of January (or probably December, for that matter). This was a weird, weird winter.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 26, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
From the Snowshoe ski report of Sunday evening: "It's a powder day at Snowshoe Mountain! A total of 17" of snow has fallen since Friday night - that brings our total for the week up to 20". Total for the year is now 174"!!
Enjoy!!
The Colonel

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?