Buy or Trade: Vintage Ski Area Patches
8 posts
4 users
4k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 25, 2006
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
780 posts
I collect old sew-on patches from ski areas. (Still have all the ones my patient mom sewed on my ski jackets many, many years ago.) Unsewn ones preferred, and the older the better.

In particular, I'm looking for:
a.) pre-1965 patches from anywhere in eastern North America, and
b.) any patches from these Vermont ski areas: Glen Ellen, Haystack, High Pond Mountain, Carinthia, Madonna Mtn, Smugglers Notch (older), Suicide Six (older preferred), Middlebury College Snow Bowl...and others.

I have some to trade and would be willing to buy at reasonable prices. Please let me know what you have!

Thanks,
Woody
Ullr
March 25, 2006
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Just keep checking ebay. They will show up eventually.
bawalker
March 29, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
bousquet19 - I just saw you are located in the Shenandoah Valley. Where at are you located? I'm not far outside Winchester.
April 13, 2006
780 posts
Quote:

Just keep checking ebay. They will show up eventually.

Some do, some don't.
Besides, waiting isn't as much fun as trading. Hope someone in this group will be interested.

Thanks,
Woody
January 23, 2007
780 posts
Hi,

I'm still looking for vintage ski area patches, esp. from several areas in Vermont (see above) and older patches from Mid-Atlantic ski areas now closed or open.

Thinking snow,
Woody
skier219
March 26, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Sorry I don't have any patches to trade Woody, but the ski area names sure brought back memories! I skied Haystack before it got absorbed by Mt. Snow (and I guess it's independent again) and Carinthia after it was absorbed. That was a fun little section of Mt. Snow and had a unique vibe. Being a long time Sugarbush skier, I do remember when Glen Ellen was a separate ski area but don't think I skied it before the merger. One of my father's friends patrolled at Glen Ellen, and still has a vintage down patrol jacket from the 70s. That would have a great patch on it!

I used to save all my lift tickets and had some great ones, including many New England ski areas that are no longer around. Sadly, that collection got tossed during one of our moves.

Craig
May 23, 2007
780 posts
 Originally Posted By: skier219
Sorry I don't have any patches to trade Woody, but the ski area names sure brought back memories! I skied Haystack before it got absorbed by Mt. Snow (and I guess it's independent again) and Carinthia after it was absorbed. That was a fun little section of Mt. Snow and had a unique vibe. Being a long time Sugarbush skier, I do remember when Glen Ellen was a separate ski area but don't think I skied it before the merger. One of my father's friends patrolled at Glen Ellen, and still has a vintage down patrol jacket from the 70s. That would have a great patch on it!

I used to save all my lift tickets and had some great ones, including many New England ski areas that are no longer around. Sadly, that collection got tossed during one of our moves.

Craig

Thanks for your reply, Craig. I've had a run of good luck with patches recently and managed to find a Haystack patch, buy a Glen Ellen patch on ebay, and trade for Madonna Mtn and High Pond Mtn (Brandon, VT).

Still looking for Carinthia, Underhill, Middlebury, Suicide Six and Timber Ridge in VT, plus Jug End in Massachusetts and Mt. Whittier in NH. You mentioned Carinthia, now part of mega-Mt. Snow. My son and I got to Mt. Snow in late December for first-time visits. They did a great job IMHO getting ANY trails open with all the lousy weather. We enjoyed the Carinthia section, too, and had lunch in the old lodge for nostalgia's sake. (Well, my nostalgia. My son isn't old enough for it yet.) Skiing Glen Ellen is on my list for the next year or two.

If you'd saved those old lift tickets, they could have probably brought you $5 each on ebay as collectibles -- more than you may have paid for some of them! The good stuff we threw away... .

Thinking snow,
Woody
skier219
May 25, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
 Originally Posted By: bousquet19

If you'd saved those old lift tickets, they could have probably brought you $5 each on ebay as collectibles -- more than you may have paid for some of them! The good stuff we threw away... .

Thinking snow,
Woody

You're not kidding -- I had a bunch of Monday night lift tickets from Brodie when they ran $5 and $10 deals. I can remember going there and getting in dozens of runs on Monday nights with my college buddies back in the late 80s.

I do wish I had all my old tickets around to look at from time to time, or maybe even hang on the wall someday. There were some classic looking ones. That was one pile of junk I should have kept!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.