10 posts
5 users
2k+ views
snowcone
December 2, 2003
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
and .. YES!!!

Please refer to the link I listed yesterday .. and pray to the snow god!

http://www.wxrisk.com/

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 2, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Wow. Now the only problem is getting there. I was planning on driving up to the Canaan Valley late on Friday. I guess I will have to leave earlier.
(Anonymous)
December 2, 2003
Bawalker, I suppose we'll have to wait a few days to see exactly how accurate the forecast is....but it is worth noting that Herb Stevens saw in his Nov 28 posting that something might be in the works for Dec 4-5.....personally, I'm pretty impressed by that. NWS is calling for snow/snow showers throughout the Thurs/Fri period for the WV/MD/PA highlands, but they're not making any predictions of totals yet.

bawalker
December 2, 2003
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Thanks for the info. I'm wondering because as the post and other info says 1200' elevations and higher. I was wondering if there was a certain geographical area that it would probably hit (i.e. west of the allegheny peaks at Harmon, or east or both).

The reason I'm asking is that because Wardensville is at an elevation of 970-980' elv. with Moorefield being 890' elv. Just crossing my fingers we are high enough to get a few inches.

snowcone
December 2, 2003
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
As I said in another thread; WxRisk has an enviable track record for winter forcasting. If he says there is a storm a-coming, I get the gear prepped and ready to roll at a moments' notice.

Right now I am trying to figure the odds on SS openinging additional runs this weekend if the snow reaches the 12" level. Anyone have insider knowledge on what SS uses for criteria?

Thanks.

(Anonymous)
December 2, 2003
I don't have any insider knowledge, but I do recall that in their snow reports last winter they were sometimes listing as little as 8" of cover in their natural snow areas at the same time that they were listing all of their trails/slopes as open.

Your best bet is to call them and listen to their recorded snow report....they seem to be dragging their feet at updating the online report this week....last Sat AM their snow report hotline said they'd be opening Dec 5, but their online report hadn't been updated since Nov 14.....as a matter of fact it STILL says Nov 14.

December 2, 2003
1,986 posts
I e-mailed management and they are committed to the 12 Dec. date for Silver Creek.

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 12-02-2003).]

jonjon
December 3, 2003
Member since 04/2/2004 🔗
70 posts
Well the skiing weatherman's report is out, and its quite exciting for snow lovers. He wouldn't be surprised to see 2 feet in some places, and he takes Wisp as his bet.

http://www.skiingweatherman.com/weather.php

December 3, 2003
1,986 posts
You beat me to it. THIS IS GETTING MORE EXCITING BY THE MINUTE. Wisp/Snowshoe/Timberline could get hammered...

Thus sproke Herb Stevens:

"The big time dump will be further south, in the Berkshires, Catskills, Poconos, and the mountains of western PA, western MD, and WV."

"For those of you with a good weather memory, this storm is setting up a lot like the early December storm of 1992. Windham Mountain, in the Catskills of NY, went for 42 inches in that one. I don't see the upside being quite as high this time around, but I would be very surprised is some resort in the east, and more likely the mid Atlantic region, didn't top two feet. I'll take Wisp in Maryland's western mountains as my early favorite."

bawalker
December 3, 2003
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Can someone tell me how accurate this Dec 5-7 forecast is? I've been keeping my ears open for the first snow of the year, but so far NBC4, CBS, ABC, and other stations haven't even mentioned the hint of a NorEaster even coming through the area.

Weather.com has somewhat of a more positive outlook for our area (Wardensville (960' elv)) saying snow showers possible on the 6th. Hopefully thats an indication of good things to come.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.