Trails for a beginner
12 posts
8 users
5k+ views
RiverHill
March 14, 2006
Member since 01/16/2005 🔗
28 posts
I found this website earlier this year for skiing and it has been alot of help to me. I am looking for some beginner type mountain bike trails in central, MD. I plan on getting my son involved and I want something fun but easy. I live in Westminster, but to be honest I am willing to travel for decent easy trails. Thanks in advance.
tgd
March 14, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Best site for DC, VA, MD trail info is MORE (Mid Atlantic Off-Road Enthusiasts):

http://www.more-mtb.org/

They have links to trail descriptions, plus a pretty helpful and knowledgeable member forum. I live in NVA, so I'm not too familiar with MD other than Schaeffer Farms (near Gaithersburg). Schaeffer is an awesome trail network, but may be a little too much for a beginner starting off.
snowcone
March 14, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
You might try Seneca Creek Park off Clopper Road between Gaithersburg and Germantown. They have a nice single track trail system that includes beginner and some intermediate levels. The single track that loops around the lake is very scenic and easy enuf for a beginner.
Trails listed here: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/senecaguide.html
Word of advice learned the hard way: park outside the gates! When the gates close at dusk any cars inside are pretty much there for the night. The trails are short enough to make a nice, after work, evening ride, during the summer.

Other good choices for newbies are the mid and upper reaches of the C&O Canal. Just jump in at any point above the Great Falls; just about anything north of the mouth of the Monocacy is pretty country: American history the easy way!
Best site for all things C&O: http://www.mcmullans.org/canal/ ... pick a section and enjoy!

There are a lot of places around the DC area but these two are probably the most interesting and the easiest to get to. We always start our biking season with a Sunday ride on the C&O, about 12-15 miles out and back, followed by a big breakfast at our favorite deli. The way the weather is behaving that ride might be sooner rather than later .. but ya never know ... historic snow dumps are not out of the question even in late March around here.

Just thinking out loud .. but would there be any interest in a group ride of DCSki folks? C&O is dirt trails above the Falls, so skinny tire folks might not have much fun.

Also ... anyone here into kayaking? The touring kind, not the 'oh my gawd, I'm gonna die' white water kind. We are looking for interested bodies to share the zen of bow waves, bald eagles and bugs. Takers?
Steve
March 15, 2006
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
Riverhill,

You're not too far from Patapsco State Park. Its off Marriottsville Rd if memory serves right. I like the McKeldin area. Check out: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/central/patapscovalley.html

The C&O, Seneca, Little Bennet, and Black Hills are great areas when you're learming, a good mix of relatively easy rides, but may be a bit far from Westminster.

Hope this helps.
Steve
RiverHill
March 15, 2006
28 posts
Thanks guys for the links. I am sure we will be out and riding in the next week or two. I will keep you updated.
Bill
March 16, 2006
Member since 01/5/2005 🔗
42 posts
"Just thinking out loud .. but would there be any interest in a group ride of DCSki folks?"

I would definitly be up for something like that, as long as its a beginner trail. I'm an absolute newby at mountain biking/off-road riding but would like to get better!

Cheers!

Bill
RiverHill
March 16, 2006
28 posts
Sounds like a good idea. Maybe a nice easy ride to get back in the swing of things.
bawalker
March 30, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
If you wouldn't mind riding on back country roads, some paved roads, (not 2 lane highways) then this portion of WV has alot of roads that you can ride on and loop back around for a complete circuit. Speaking of which I need to get another mountain bike aimed at longer distance riding, vs the Mongoose I have now which is more of a terrain downhill bike.

Recommendations??
canaanman
March 30, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Quote:

Also ... anyone here into kayaking? The touring kind, not the 'oh my gawd, I'm gonna die' white water kind. We are looking for interested bodies to share the zen of bow waves, bald eagles and bugs. Takers?

You got me all excited with those first five words... then cut me down. I own a 10.5' whitewater canoe. Probably do things I shouldn't... surf waves that will eat me, been lucky so far. Well... New's runnin'... gotta chase that snow!
comprex
March 31, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
snowcone, I might take the ol' Willow Excalibur out one of these months.

(I hate drysuits so it might be May before I do).
snowcone
April 2, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
sure .. why not? .. I dont do wet suits either: yaking is for summer months. Anytime that is cold enuf for a wet suit means biking or skiing.

May sounds good to me ... give the water some time to warm up. Keep in touch. We usually go out early on Sunday morning; get up early, load the yaks, get our bonk at Starbucks and head off to the put in of the day. Early season is usually Piskataway, Dyke or the Canal.

We also want to do the Monacacy early on this year before it gets too low. Put in up past Frederick and take out at the Potomac. Needs some cooridination carwise but it can be done. Interested?
comprex
April 17, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Sounds good.

I might warm up with some Annapolis urban paddles, say out of Truxtun park.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.