Spyder Ski Jacket Zipper
11 posts
10 users
14k+ views
hockeydave
March 11, 2006
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
I recently bought via eBay what I believe to be authentic Spyder Legend Ski Jackets, each one costing approximately $150 (Brand New With Tags). Both jackets had the main zipper slider on the left side of the jacket which I have never seen before on any jacket; this makes it very awkward to zipper being that I am right handed. Question... Is this normal for Spyder or are these jackets:

1) Factory defects or
2) Not authentic Spyder ski jackets

Thanks in advance for any info.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 11, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Do not female jackets have the zipper the opposite for mail jackets?
The Colonel
Eug
March 14, 2006
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
Yes. Zippers that engage on the opposite side are ladies jackets. Some vestige of the 'good old days' when servants or helpers used to button the buttons for the ladies...

There are/were discussions in Epic about counterfeit Spyder jackets. I think the consensus (sp?) is that most Ebay Spyder jackets are counterfeit. I am not saying that yours are but... you never know.
TLaHaye
March 14, 2006
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
The Spyder Jackets from China are highly suspect. I listened to one fellow bragging on his, and how he'd purchased them for his entire family, but the apparent workmanship/construction details didn't look quite up to snuff. That said, I think they're all made overseas anyway, and there's no reason the Chinese can't produce a fine garment.
snowcone
March 14, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Actually, even some of the real Spyder jackets are produced in China. The legit stuff has special anti-copy labels etc. For more info on what to look for try here: http://spyderfan.livejournal.com/424.html .... You get what you pay for on Ebay and if the item is a 'high-end' Spyder for a very low-end price, well that aught to tell you something.
Murphy
March 14, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Wife bought be a jacket that zipps up on the wrong side. She swears I'm not wearing women's clothing (at least not the jacket ). It's made by a british company so I'm just telling myself it's a British thing.
hockeydave
March 15, 2006
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
This is a link to one of the 2 jackets I bought. Any thoughts if this a legit Spyder jacket? (Very heavy jacket, Spyder zippers, seems well constructed, probably was a 2004 or 2005 jacket)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...%3APIC&rd=1
David
March 15, 2006
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Just checked mine and it was made in Indonesia.

I bought a Spyder coat 2 seasons ago from the local ski shop and I believe it is one of the smartest ski gear purchases I have made even though it was almost $400 (with a zip-out liner). I never wear more than a Pepper Skins brand synthetic thermal underneath of it. Never once have I ever been cold. On warmer days the shell makes for an excellent windbreaker during skiing. I have even skied to torrential downpours of rain and it didn't take in water. With that being said, I would highly recommend an "authentic" Spyder coat to any skier.
LMV
March 15, 2006
Member since 06/1/2005 🔗
60 posts
7 springs Karbon ski patrol jackets also have the zipper on the wrong side.
snowboardxtreme
July 19, 2006
Member since 04/21/2006 🔗
3 posts
Careful with the China products! I always buy my "deals" at www.snowboardpricing.com and am sure that what I buy is the real-deal + the site has unbelievable deals going.
comprex
July 19, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Some British jackets have left-side zip pulls.

Anyone know the import quota details for skiwear? Somehow I suspect that Ebay will be one channel to get around those, if they exist. (I looked through the Customs and Border Protection China Status page here and didn't see anything on HTS
6101.30.2010 (mens')
6101.30.2020 (boys')
6102.30.2010 (womens')
6102.30.2020 (girls'))
Interesting.
Main site here

In looking for the quota levels I was astonished to find that men's woolen ski jackets are subject to higher tariff than women's woolen ski jackets.

Check it your self: Chapter 61 of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule is here

What, I say what is the justification for that?

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?