10 posts
5 users
2k+ views
BushwackerinPA
March 8, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Well another week another ski area, yippie

Coverage is good on extrovert, high hopes,and one trackdown the bowl, deer run.

Coverage is great on Jack Rabbit and expressway

Coverage sucks on the bowl although still a few ski able lines.

Overall decent day, this weekend should be a spring bump paradise and I hope to go there saturday. Blue Knob Extrovert was the toughest thing I skied this year, infact considering the "hard" conditions, I was surprised it was open.
himihon
March 9, 2006
Member since 12/28/2004 🔗
20 posts
Do you think Extrovert would still be open next weekend (March 17-19)considering the warm up that is occuring? I am thinking about a weekend trip to Blue Knob, but if they don't have their good trails open it would be worthless. Thanks.
BushwackerinPA
March 9, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
The locals take is no, IN my opinion sadly they are right. The coverage is overall good, but bottom has large bare spot that needs filled in right before it get to run out.

Saturday is going to be the best day of the season on extrovert, if you want to ski it. That is the day to go.

I will be there saturday, bumping away untill my legs give out FYI.
himihon
March 9, 2006
Member since 12/28/2004 🔗
20 posts
Thanks for the reply. Saturday is the big St. Paddy's day parade here in Pitt, but I will try and make it out to the knob on Sunday (provided limited hangover). Next weekend looks like another one at snowshoe then.
BushwackerinPA
March 16, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Just an update....

Got to ski there on closing day last saturday..... this place is freaking awesome. An place that lets you ski over grass ski to their best slope, get an Thumbs up in my book.

Extrovert had bigger, softer bumps than I have ever seen there, or actually anywhere. After someone made a snow path from Mid station, it started to get huge bumps on it quite fast. Getting into you could ski over some bramble slowly from the traverse or straight over some leaves in the normal entrance(i choose the leaves;)). The slope it self had awesome coverage on it besides one spot under ther lift. The exit had 30 feet of grass/ strip of snow to cross some took their skis off, but flat ski with some speed and you were good to go.

Stembogen Bowl also had some neat line caused by thin cover, kinda of likie turn here at speed or get seriousally hurt kinda of stuff in wet cement type snow, plus a pretty big mound was left in the center of the bowl that had a head high drop on hte back side of it, very fun to drop.

Lessons learned....

Blue Knob has the most laid back patrol ever...
They could care less about your safety which I like
Blue Knob is the most entertianing Hill in the area, even Timberline seem boring compared to it
The skiers at Blue Knob are the best in the area, hand down, as far as skier population goes.( I fit right in;))
Metrons are extremely durable, hit tons of rock and ran them straight over grass at Blue Knob and HV no really new scrathes at all.

Number one lesson learned Skiing Blue Knob(8th), Hidden Valley(10th), Blue Knob(HV at night)(11th), Hidden Valley(12th), Seven Springs(13th), then Timberline And Wisp the same day(15th), stop complaing about conditions, and justt get out there and ski before its too late.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 16, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Quote:

Number one lesson learned Skiing Blue Knob(8th), Hidden Valley(10th), Blue Knob(HV at night)(11th), Hidden Valley(12th), Seven Springs(13th), then Timberline And Wisp the same day(15th), stop complaing about conditions, and justt get out there and ski before its too late.

Great sprint to the season finish line Bush. Hard to believe another winter's almost over. I can remember some fun skiing as late as St. Paddy's day at Blue Knob back in the '70s and '80s, but it was the exception, not the rule.
Norsk
March 16, 2006
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Now we know the reason for BK's aggressive logging -- their customer base (Bushwacker) likes it that way!
BushwackerinPA
March 16, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
My season wont be over in the mid_alantic till the 1st weekend in april.... my ski season wont be over till june(I will have around 140 days this year;).
Ullr
March 18, 2006
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Quote:

I can remember some fun skiing as late as St. Paddy's day at Blue Knob back in the '70s and '80s, but it was the exception, not the rule.

Last year they were open past St. Paddy's Day. Skied there on the 20th, with great coverage.
BushwackerinPA
June 9, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Quote:

My season wont be over in the mid_alantic till the 1st weekend in april.... my ski season wont be over till june(I will have around 140 days this year;).

135 days officailly for the year. With the last day being at A-basin on May 22nd.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.