Wintergreen 3/7
9 posts
6 users
1k+ views
skier219
March 7, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
28F-38F during the day. They groomed in Monday's 2-3" of snow for the best packed powder conditions I have seen all season, especially in the morning. It did get a little soft in some spots during the afternoon, but the skiing was still excellent (with the exception of Outer Limits, which was mashed potatoes). Not bad for March!
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 8, 2006
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
928 posts
congrats, you might have nailed the last really good day.

Last Friday was all good also: I met a guy from the UVa ski team (on atomic r:11, 170, btw) who just ripped through that mush on outerlimits at about double my speed. It was quite humiliating but impressive. [side note: i am not so good a skier and easily impressed]

If WG can make it through next week with some decent trails open, I'll return.
k_alice
March 8, 2006
Member since 11/22/2005 🔗
92 posts
I saw on the website they were still blowing snow on Dobie as of Wednesday AM. That's promsing, at least. I hope it holds up until Saturday, since we're coming up for our last weekend with some of our kids' friends in tow. At least the season's passes are now valid every day.

Last weekend was great - my kids had a ton of fun in the doublecross race, and Jonny Moseley was very nice with all the kids. I think I'll have to do the doublecross races next year!
Murphy
March 8, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

I saw on the website they were still blowing snow on Dobie as of Wednesday AM. That's promsing, at least. I hope it holds up until Saturday, since we're coming up for our last weekend with some of our kids' friends in tow. At least the season's passes are now valid every day.

Last weekend was great - my kids had a ton of fun in the doublecross race, and Jonny Moseley was very nice with all the kids. I think I'll have to do the doublecross races next year!

Knowing that the warm weather is coming, it says a lot about those who did and those who didn't blow snow during the last few cold nights.
skier219
March 8, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Last Friday was all good also: I met a guy from the UVa ski team (on atomic r:11, 170, btw) who just ripped through that mush on outerlimits at about double my speed. It was quite humiliating but impressive. [side note: i am not so good a skier and easily impressed]

I tell you, I wore myself out skiing from 9-5:30, but had a great time and wanted to keep going. I was half tempted to stay overnight and ski another day! (but it's a good thing I didn't -- I am beat today).

That mush on Outer Limits was pretty much unskiable by the end of the day -- it was more like wading than skiing! It's a pity that trail deteriorates so fast.
TLaHaye
March 8, 2006
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Knowing that the warm weather is coming, it says a lot about those who did and those who didn't blow snow during the last few cold nights.

They've often said they would, but this is the first year I've seen them blow significant snow in March (no matter how cold it's been). Something to do with the contract for low-cost electric running through February only.

They've blown a LOT of snow this March at Wintergreen.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 8, 2006
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
928 posts
Quote:

Quote:

I tell you, I wore myself out skiing from 9-5:30, but had a great time and wanted to keep going. I was half tempted to stay overnight and ski another day! (but it's a good thing I didn't -- I am beat today).

That mush on Outer Limits was pretty much unskiable by the end of the day -- it was more like wading than skiing! It's a pity that trail deteriorates so fast.

ohhh. i love that worn out feeling. did you get the next day leg cramps? thats when i know i had a big day.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 8, 2006
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
780 posts
My son and I have skied at Wintergreen for four seasons, and we've found the facilities, management and staff there to be consistently first-rate. Glad to hear that they've begin to blow snow in March. Maybe that'll squeeze out another weekend of skiing.

Woody

PS If you're staying with nonskiers at Wintergreen or just need a break, be sure to check out Trillium House (closed Sundays, though), hqts of The Wintergreen Nature Foundation. Great natural history programs (e.g., "Mornings in the Mountains" nature walks)...there is a charge for programs, understandable b/c TWNF is a private organization.
skier219
March 9, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

ohhh. i love that worn out feeling. did you get the next day leg cramps? thats when i know i had a big day.

My whole body hurt, if there were leg cramps they just blended into the background pain!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.