near 70 skiing?
16 posts
12 users
3k+ views
langleyskier
March 6, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
This weekend is looking like it will offer bluebird skies and really warm temps. I am going to be at canaan this weekend (yearly family trip) and was wondering what i should expect besides really wet snow?

-crowds
-snow base
-conditions

how to find me: probably the only guy skiing in a flowered bathing-suit and short sleeves!!
BushwackerinPA
March 6, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
70 on snow doesnt feel that warm, I will be out there no matter what and actually have skied in a 80 degree day at Hidden Valley.

here are some tips

Were pants no matter what(shorts suck to fall in, you can bleed alot in hurry dont ask me how I know...)
t shirt
and ski early and stick to shade
never think about not carving a turn(ie tip steer not a steer and then tip)
use the fattest skis you own

spring skiing IMO is second only to fresh snow, slush is very edgeable and with the steeps of t-line it should be alot of fun, plus no need for all of that 'clothing".
TLaHaye
March 6, 2006
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
I agree with everything BW says, plus ... ski easy (don't work too hard) and quit when you get tired. As soft snow piles up and the surface grows, shall we say, variable, you can exert a lot of energy maintaining fore/aft balance.

I love skiing the soft snow, but often feel its just a knee injury waiting to happen.
canaanman
March 6, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Slushy skiing/riding can be a ton of fun. The parks are soft, you can absolutely rip and huck down anything. I had a few slushy days at Whistler last summer and they were the best. You can really progress on slushy or powder days.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 6, 2006
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
If I were going to be here this weekend I'd go to Blue Knob for an Extrovert day. It should be great. 70 deg. in DC is about right. It probably will not break 55 there and Extrovert faces north and is always the last thing on the mountain to soften up. It will not get slushy, although everything else at BK will.

I'll be at Mad River Glen for the annual NATO telemark festival.
BushwackerinPA
March 7, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Extrovert will be slushy see you there saturday. I was there last year only on sunny 45 degree day march 5th, and it was corn all the ways down;).
TerpSKI
March 7, 2006
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Warm temp. wax & sunscreen
kwillg6
March 7, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Ditto the sunscreen and grey/silver wax. It'll be plenty grabby until the corn appears. Don't ya love mashed potatoes???? See you on the hill! I understand that t-line begins their 9 am lift open time this weekend.
langleyskier
March 7, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
would an extra round of waxing be advised?

and i can relate to the knee injury thing- only time i have been badly injured while skiing was on a warm day at mammoth, ca

thanks for the advise!
POWPOW
March 7, 2006
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
just like bushwacker said, besides good pow, super soft spring corn or slop is my next most fav thing to ski on.
langleyskier
March 7, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
has anyone been to canaan valley (not timberline) lately? I was at timberline 2 weeks ago and they had a good base but what could be expected at canaan?
Rich
March 7, 2006
Member since 11/30/2000 🔗
194 posts
Still trying to figure out where this "near 70" thing came from as the Snowshoe forecast says:
Tuesday
Morning flurries
High 38. Low 19. Fair snowmaking conditions.
tgd
March 7, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
check the NOAA Forecast for Snowshoe WV this Fri-Sun:
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?CityName=Snowshoe&state=WV&site=RLX

It may be 5-10 degree off because of altitude, but I doubt it will be snowing. The entire Mid Atlantic is under a blowtorch forecast for the next week or so.

Friday: A chance of showers, mainly before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high around 53. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low near 36.
Saturday: A chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a high around 60. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 43.
Sunday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 60.
Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 43.
kwillg6
March 8, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
If the sun is out, and the temps are in the upper 50s, it'll feel like 75. Wax sure does help your skis slide, but then again, so does a good base structure. And with the predicted weather changes for later in the week, maybe we will have a super snowy luau this year!
TennesseeSkier
March 8, 2006
Member since 01/22/2006 🔗
25 posts
Hey Rich,

Still trying to find out where this "near 70" thing came from as far as the Snowshoe forcast? Its ok, you can name my post, I really don't mind..lol...

But really, I saw they had good, cold conditions earlier in the week, but its gonna warm up for the weekend. Glad to see the "shoe is still making snow, gearing up for the warmer weather. But last time I checked, 60 degree weather..IS near 70...lol...

Either way, we are gonna have a blast. See everyone there..
twin58
March 9, 2006
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
Quote:

here are some tips

Were pants no matter what(shorts suck to fall in, you can bleed alot in hurry dont ask me how I know...)

I concur. I made the mistake once of snowboarding at Massanutten in a pair of surf trunks. Bad idea all around.

How Massanutten got into my surf trunks, I'll never know.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.