Resort for tubing and close to DC
5 posts
4 users
2k+ views
estebanj
December 1, 2003
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1 posts
Hi. I live in fairfax county and have friends coming over xmas that have never seen snow. I want to take them tubing (7 year old kid) one day. Where do you recommend going? Place must have tubing and be a same day drive from the Dulles area. Thanks.
bawalker
December 1, 2003
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
There is just such a place outside of Winchester, VA. Actually it's about 10 minutes west of Winchester on US Route 50 in Gore, VA. It's called the Cove Snowtubing park. It's sorta small, but they have their own snowmaking, and with it's located hidden up in a cold valley they produce alot of snow... and fun.

The website for them is: http://www.skicove.net/

I hope this helps.

Brad

JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 1, 2003
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
That is a good tip from bawalker on a new place I am not familiar with. It certainly sounds close for you. Most local ski areas have tubing centers. Some of the closest within 1.5 to 2.5 hrs include Liberty, Whitetail, Roundtop and Massanutten. You can get more info from the Resort Profile section of this website or go directly to the resort websites and track conditions. I'm sure some or all will be open by Christmas.
bawalker
December 1, 2003
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I forgot to mention the best directions from Dulles. Simply take the Dulles Greenway to Leesburg and take Route 7 west. Drive Route 7 for about 30 miles until you come to Winchester, VA. The goal is to get to US Route 50 west and in order to do this is to take I-81 south once you reach Winchester city limits on Route 7.

Take I-81 south for about 5 minutes going past several Winchester A/B exits until you come to the Route 37 "Kernstown" exit. Route 37 is just a bypass that runs on the outskirts of the city limits. Take this highway and follow it to the second exit labeled US Route 50 west. You will recognize that you are at the right exit because you will see the huge Winchester Hospital complex across the highway and the exit is beside a McDonalds.

From there simply take a left and ride US Route 50 for about 15 minutes to Gore, VA. You won't arrive in Gore because rt 50 bypasses it. You have to keep your eyes open because once you reach the Capon Valley Bank you are almost right there. Then follow the directions on the Cove website.

I have heard rumor's that Cove might ... or already have put in a boarding park?

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 1, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
There is another tubing park near the WV and VA lines, near The Woods and Berkley Springs. There is a resort near there that makes snow for a tubing park.
The Colonel

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.