What A Change!!! (for the better)
8 posts
6 users
1k+ views
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 3, 2006
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Been at Snowshoe for almost two weeks now... After a few cold sunny days, most of the snow outside of the ski trails melted or sublimated, making the scenery look barren, although the conditions on the trail continued to be excellent.

Last night, it started raining, followed by more mist and higher temperatures. At 3 PM, the temperature at the top of the 'Shoe was 50 degrees (at my condo) and 60 at the base when I went shopping (at the bank display)

At 5 PM I took my dog to the slopes to do our daily See-the-Lab-fetch-the-ball ritual followed by the Starbucks visit. In the hour we were on the slopes, the temperature fell 10 degrees down to 40 and the wind howled.

At 8 PM, I went out for dinner at the Foxfire. Opened the door, the storm door was almost blown off the hinges, and snow came in. Full blizzard conditions. Temperature 31...

At 9:30, I returned to the condo with literally zero visibility and at least two inches on the ground

At midnight now, it is 21 degrees, the little arrow on the digital thermometer shows a down trend, AND the wind is howling with powder snow falling horizontally.

I think I will ski tomorrow....
jimmy
March 3, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
You've just got to love March in West Virginia, best snow yet to come!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 3, 2006
1,535 posts
Temperature when I woke up this AM: 15 degrees... a 35 degree difference from yesterday!!! And snow showers contiue unabated. This is heaven!!! Too bad my family from Florida had to go back to stand the heat, the flying mega-cockroaches and the soon-to-appear hurricanes... I gave them my sympathies... I'll keep the snow.
skier219
March 3, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Thanks for the firsthand report! I have seen some pretty amazing weather changes at SS myself, and it's always welcome when the snow comes back with a vengeance.

Craig
JCHobbes
March 3, 2006
Member since 09/12/2005 🔗
94 posts
I was up at Snowshoe maybe this weekend or one of the weekends near it a few years ago.

It started out pretty crappy, and there were some bare spots on Friday, Saturday was even worse. Saturday night, the temperature dropped, and they were able to put the groomers out after some natural and lots of man-made snow.

That Sunday was beautiful. I wish I cuold have stayed a bit longer.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 3, 2006
1,535 posts
Ski report: Just came back from the slopes. Temperature has dropped again to 17 degrees. Flurries continued. I would not be surprised if total was about 5 inches or so.

Conditions were powder with ice underneath because of the drastic change in temperature from the previous day. I figure tonite the groomers will be fully churning the stuff, and if tomorrow it warms up to the promised 30 degrees, it will be a pleasure of a day... Ego snow..
Rich
March 6, 2006
Member since 11/30/2000 🔗
194 posts
There every weekend too...in the teens...and fell down LOL when I read this on another thread today:
"Well our Snowshoe trip is only one week away. I took a peak at The Weather Channel's 10 day forcast for Snowshoe online, WC's 10 Day Forcast , and it says next Friday and Saturday, rain with highs of 70."
Love these "forecasts"...only problem is you have to be VERY careful of exactly where they are from - this one was actually for Snowshoe, Florida. LOL
P.S. - Snowshoe, WV IS NOT Elkins.
kwillg6
March 6, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Got that! The shoe should stay mostly snowy until later in the week. It may even get into the upper 50's by Saturday and Sunday. It'll feel warmer due to the sun. Definite SP30 weather.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.