Cel Phone Skiers
8 posts
6 users
tgd
March 2, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
I've seen people - generally 20-somethings (not to generalize) - skiing/riding while talking on cel phones this season at Timberline. Never saw this before. Anyone else notice this behavior more often this season than past?
warren
March 2, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Well, I can tell you that although I've not seen skiing while talking on the cell phone, I have seen a person so engrossed in his cell phone conversation while on the lift that he didn't realize he'd come to the top of the lift and went around the bullwheel to hit the stop bar. This was when I was at Copper Mountain. Needless to say he got a lot of comments from folks around the lift.

-Warren-
jimmy
March 2, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Saw two riders sitting in the middle of North Face at 7springs, one of them was on the phone but at least they weren't sliding I can't stand carrying a cell phone while skiing, but sometimes you can't help it if you're really trying to meet someone on the mountain, but some folks carry them for work related calls but who wants to think about work when you're skiing?
tgd
March 2, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
These people weren't working - they were talking loud enough for me to discern they were really just showing off for whoever they were talking to ("Hey guess what I'm doing right now!"). One girl was heading down white lightning - poles in one hand, phone in the other. Another time it was a boarder swooping around one of the big curves on Twister. It was just a couple cases this season, but stupidity can be as contagious as bird flu - hope this doesn't spread.
jimmy
March 2, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Mebbe instead of hassling people w/headphones, it's time for Tline to ban talking on a cell phone while on the slopes????
kwillg6
March 2, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Jimmy, I think that there is a sign which says something to that effect. However, I have witnessed the same at t-line this season. What is so important that these fools have to talk on their phone while skiing???? I mean, it's like they don't realize what a good thing they have without ruining the experience. I've even considered having my land line disconnected at t-line so NOBODY can disturb my peace and quiet. I go there to get away from the techno crap. But....it's a new generation. I guess my parents thought 8-tracks were too much as well.
BushwackerinPA
March 2, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
I usually use mine to meet people on the hill, and always carry it while skiing. Once in my life I did answer it while skiing, but that call was important.....
wojo
March 2, 2006
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
At snowbird this year I saw two teens in a heap, near some bright red snow and blood stream down the ones face who was on the phone and she said, "Mom, gotta go the ski patrol is here . . . " seemed like a good reason to have the phone.

I only use mine at the top of the hill to call the kids who did not ski with me that day

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?